Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best technique and time to use a jitterbug. I only hear good things but i cant seem to catch any thing with it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best technique and time to use a jitterbug. I only hear good things but i cant seem to catch any thing with it

What is the best technique and time to use a jitterbug. I only hear good things but i cant seem to catch any thing with it

Use a green one with a white belly early in the morning, retrieved slowly in still water. Use a black one retrieved a bit faster at night.

Comment

Danny I've never had any luck with them. Not saying anything bad maybe I don't know how to use one but I've caught nadda with them.

Comment

Calm nights, Shallow water, 1-5 feet deep, bass cruise the shallows at night and jitter bugs and hula poppers are deadly. When I worked second shift I would fish at 2 or 3 in the morning and just slay the bass, never huge ones but a ton of 1-3 pounders.

Comment

GS, I'll remember that.

Comment

Big black ones at midnight. Retrieve slowly and steadily, just fast enough to get the bubbles. Throw in some pauses too.

Comment

Actually, pascal nailed this one in my opinion. I have caught some fantastic bass on the green and white jointed jitterbug in the mornings, and some whoppers on solid black in the evenings (7 lbs. +!!!)

Comment

When none of my other crank baits will work my JITTERBUG is the best. Pull it fast enough until it swivels back and forth fast enough making waves and a popping noise and be ready no matter what time of day! If it doesn’t make a popping noise, it’s a bad lure! Remember, this lure is imitating a critter swimming across

Comment

The first day I hear frogs I will give a jitterbug a try. I have the most confidence in them though in the heat of summer at dusk and into the night. I have busted some big smallies on these things in the New River, Va. by wading into a position so it can be retrieved parallel to the bank. I have had at least two stolen by muskies. Even caught a big carp on one during a cicada hatch some years ago.

Comment

If your Jitterbug is doing the popping bubbles thing right, you can bend the metal lip to tune the action so it works.

Comment

and by is I mean Isn't

Comment

I prefer to use the jitterbugs early in the morning, stop and go technique with a pause of 10-15 seconds after each twitch seems to work good for me.

Comment

early morning, at night on a humid summer night, or around any brush any time

Comment

Agreed with pascal and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad