Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the easiest way to tell the difference between a largemouth bass and a spotted bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the easiest way to tell the difference between a largemouth bass and a spotted bass?

whats the easiest way to tell the difference between a largemouth bass and a spotted bass?

The corner of a spotted bass' mouth does not extend past the eye like a largemouth's does. Also the scales around the eye (cheek scales) of a spotted bass are much smaller than the scales on the rest of the fish's body whereas the cheek scales on the largemouth bass are very similar in size to the scales on the rest of the body.

Comment

The tongue also has a rough patch or "tooth patch". The tongue on a largemouth is smooth.

Comment

One is spotted?

Comment

ask the fish lol

Comment

one has a large mouth(?)

Comment

Beekeeper and dgbroax are correct. The only thing I would add is spots don't have as big a mouth as spots do.

Comment

I mean large mouth sorry.

Comment

The easiest way for me is the rough patch on the tongue

Comment

The spotted bass has a dorsal fin that is clearly connected, while the largemouth appears to have two separate fins.

Comment

Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to The Horse Race
                        by Pmacc60
                        You are for sure not a small business man , the Obama administration hurt small business and sent a tremendous amount of jobs overseas. Big business makes...
                        Today, 09:19 PM
                      • The Horse Race
                        by rock rat
                        There are lots of things making this a hard race to predict. Pollsters do their thing and mostly they show Biden up over where Clinton was at this time...
                        Today, 09:43 AM
                        by 99explorer
                        The recession officially ended in June 2009, after economic stimulus checks went out to 55 million recipients in the prior month.
                        The economy continued
                        Today, 09:03 PM
                        by Pmacc60
                        Like you all know I live near Delaware and I work there everyday ! Maybe it’s because we all know Joe Biden it I don’t see the support. Remember he...
                        Today, 08:48 PM
                        by 99explorer
                        "Fake news" is a cop out.
                        I used it once myself to avoid doing research.
                        Today, 08:42 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X