Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone see the newest episode of River Monsters? I have only seen the show twice and I enjoyed the one Sunday night on Allig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone see the newest episode of River Monsters? I have only seen the show twice and I enjoyed the one Sunday night on Allig

Did anyone see the newest episode of River Monsters? I have only seen the show twice and I enjoyed the one Sunday night on Alligator Gar. I learned some ool facts about them. I also enjoyed the footage when he caught a 6'8" Gator Gar. I have only seen one gator gar but see plenty of longnose and spotted gar. Anyone have any stories or thoughts?

yeah actually i was fishin and i brought along the pellet gun to shoot pigeons with. i shot a pigeon that was in a tree overhanging the river and it floated downstream. we were at the canal siphon, so right underneath the bridge part, i saw the tail of the gator gar stickin out. we tried shootin it with a pellet gun but no luck.

Comment

When I was a kid we used to fish for them, in the Little Mazarn river(Ark).The biggest we brought in was a little over 6',never weighed it though. Saw LOT bigger in the same hole we fished, we used goldfish for bait, with a two foot copper wire leader. We shot them bank-side with a .22lr to subdue them. Funny story, dad had a Abugarcia(?) rod and reel(bait caster) combo that cost him in the $200.00 range. Took a couple of nice gar with that rod until one day he caught that fish above, and wound breaking that rod at the base !!! He was SO MAD !!

Comment

I fish for them in cow bayou in texas- never caught a six footer but caught lots of 4foot+ fish and seen a few really big ones. someone last year caught a 7 footer out of the Trinity river. To me there is something dinosaur like about them. They are also fun to bow fish for, as they rise periodically in stagnant water.

Comment

In the show they were fishing in the Trinity River.

Comment

I grew up fishing for Gar in the Navasota and Brazos Rivers in Texas, still fish for them on a regular basis.

Largest I have personally caught was 126lbs on Rod and Reel in the Navasota River.

I use live shad and live perch for them at Gibbon's Creek, largest I have caught there is in the 50's, but there are some there that will tip the scales at 100+ lbs.

They will smash top water baits and spinnerbaits as well, if you use a spinner bait you can remove the skirt and make your own with frayed nylon rope, the gar will hammer the bait and the teeth will become wrapped in the rope, this is a great way to practice catch and release with these large fish.

Comment

The River Monsters show is pretty good, he is going after Catfish on the next episode.

Comment

My wife and i record the series on our DVR, so far we really enjoy the show. I use to work on a tow boat, while we were making locks it was pretty amazing seeing the size of some of the gar.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad