Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any suggestions on bass fishing in shallow heavy weeds when they are bedding off shore on a pond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any suggestions on bass fishing in shallow heavy weeds when they are bedding off shore on a pond

any suggestions on bass fishing in shallow heavy weeds when they are bedding off shore on a pond

That is quite the situation. I've fished in this situation a lot and often found myself very frustrated. The best thing I have found to do is Texas-rig a small-medium sized curly-tailed worm. Throw it PAST the bed and reel it over the weeds and let it drop down right in the middle of the bed. Then, just let it sit there. You may have to wait a while, but eventually that mama bass will get annoyed enough to pick it up.

Comment

I fish this very same situation at a small lake near my house. I have had tremendous success using a top water lure such as the scum frog or S PRO frogs, making sure to pause in the openings. With all the top water strikes, it sure makes for some exciting fishing too.

Comment

Throw some GULP! its the best chance, they are extremely unlikely to eat what your throwing or even try to attack it, also, use ultra light fluorocarbon, they are really finnicky.

Comment

JL has a good plan, one that will piss them off. Bass in this situation aren't looking for a meal, so trying to stimulate their tastebuds will get you nowhere. You have to agitate them and threaten their nest.

Comment

Dance a dead minnow on their bed and you will get a strike, it might take a minute,but you will get a hit.

Comment

Jl hit the nail on the head, however Big scary looking lizards and tubes seem to piss em off better for me.

Comment

texas rig a tube or fluke lure and run it through the bed it will get them to strike naturally out of defence

Comment

i would recommend a black or brown lizard texas rigged with the weight pegged onto the lizard as this will likely entice a bite since lizards are known to eat bass eggs

Comment

If the Bass are on the beds, color should only matter to you, with that I mean that you want a lure that YOU can see, its obvious the fish can see it also. The main objective here is to KNOW when the fish picks up the bait to move it off the bed. I have seen them suck up a turtle carry them off the bed and spit it out, I would stick with a salamander style bait. Bass around my area hate salamanders because they eat the eggs. Spend a day playing with them, it will be worth it in the future.

Comment

I like to fish the zoom trick worm weightless through grass like that

Comment

Good answer jlfreeborn and + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad