Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any one have any good tips on how to use a baitcasting reel

Any one have any good tips on how to use a baitcasting reel

It's kind of difficult to explain on this blog (for me, anyway), but I'll give it a go. You basically have 2 things to worry about. The little knob behind the handle controls the spool drag on the cast. To set it for whatever bait you are fishing, adjust it to the point where as you disengage the spool from the gears, the spool should stop spinning as it hits the ground or water. The next thing is to make sure to feather the spool with your thumb throughout the cast. It really just takes some practice to get the hang of it. When first starting out, I recommend that you set the drag rather tight, then loosen it as you become better.

My best advice would be to find someone who is already good at and have them teach you.

Comment

At my age I'm ashamed to say I always get confused with the baitcast, spincast and other cast type names. I know there's four of them.

Comment

I never could get use to baitcasting reels. I spent more time untangling birds nests and actually fishing. I use spinning reels for everything from crappie to river catfishing.

Comment

i am glad i am not alone on baitcasting reels. i am still working on a good cast like i want, i also like the spinning reels[coffee grinders]they cast every time with no backlash.

Comment

Bait caster are relatively easy to use with practice and a little understanding of how they work. There is a button you press down just behind the spool of line. When you depress this button the line " free spools" meaning nothing will stop it but your thumb. When you cast you must let your thumb off the spool, not all the way but enough to allow line to come off the spool. you must control the speed and distance with your thumb and with how hard you cast. There is also a little knob on the side of your real that acts like a clutch. it controls to some extent how fast you spool turns. You must set it tighter for heaver lures and lighter for smaller lures. You must not allow the spool of line to spin faster than the amount of line coming off. You control all this with your thumb. If the spool turns faster than the line can come off you will get a backlash or a bird's nest. Also, right when the lure hits the water you must stop the spool completely with you thumb or the spool will keep spinning and you will get a birds nest. Basically it's all mostly in the thumb, you can't let the spool spin too fast, you control how far, fast and how gently you lay down your lure on the water with your thumb. If you buy a bait caster, read the owners manual and set the clutch nob according to the lure you will use most. The only way to get good is to practice and practice. The benefits of using a bait caster are, precision casting. You will be able to put lures almost anywhere you want. You have a lot more cranking power because it is basically a little winch on a pole. Finally you will be able to cast faster with one hand and real the lure in with much more control than with any other lure. I hope this has helped you understand a little bit about them. I only fish with bait casters and nothing else, in my opinion nothing else comes close to performing like a bait caster.

Comment

Its all about setting the drag and using your thumb to create the right amount of pressure on the spool. Good luck, it took me a whole summer to get it right!

Comment

pull out as much line as you use on your longest casts, then put down a piece of duct tape, that way if your backlash just doesn't happen. THANK BILL DANCE!

Comment

All good tips but my first baitcaster was an el cheapo and that thing sucked. I spent a little more money on a pflueger ($150 give or take 5) and the backlash was less of a problem and my casts went longer. So buy a good one and every time you change a lure change the drag also 10-14 lb line worked better for me than lighter line I did not test over 14 lb.

Comment

All are good answers, the way i learned was tying numerous different weights to my line (i try to run 12lb) and adjusting my spool brake differently trying to find a good setting so i can cast far with no backlash. practice makes perfect. Also if you buy a decent reel for $150 or better you wont get aggravated and throw it in the closet never to be seen again, plus they are smoother and seem a lot more durable. Good Luck!

Comment

Here is a link
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZs2vAJp0Ec
                      http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1484-fishing-casting-a-bait-casting-reel
                      http://www.5min.com/Video/Bait-Casting-Reel-Basics-158087558
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfsmJWyi6l0

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad