Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of fireline? Does it feel like mono? how's the memory? what color do you use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of fireline? Does it feel like mono? how's the memory? what color do you use?

What do you think of fireline? Does it feel like mono? how's the memory? what color do you use?

It's the only line I use. 14lb test, smoke color, it has no memory, feels nothing like mono. Casts well. No stretch.
    You will need to learn some knots, palomar, and double uni to attach to a flourocarbon leader.
    You need to spool your reel partway with mono or floro so it doesn't slip on the spool.
    If you troll you may want to keep some reels spooled with mono or use really flexible rods. The lack of stretch can rip the hooks out.
    Happy fishing!

Comment

Chuckles,
      I'm not sold on Fireline yet even though I hear a lot of good stuff about it. Would you recommend it for ultralite rods?

Comment

Chuckles, I need to be educated on fireline to. I heard it can cut thru the plastic eyes on your rod. False, True?

Comment

I use fireline too. I use the Green color, works well in tea-green colored water. I definetly would use a nice $70-$100 rod, like a St.Croix, Fenwick, Berkley, or Cabela's Fish Eagle; they should have ceramic guides on them and handle the friction okay. Definetly use mono as backing if you are gonna troll for walleye, lakers, or northerns. They really hold a palomar knot well. See my pics for nice northern I caught with a St.Croix Rod spooled with 15lb-test Fireline! I've also caught some trout with 4-6lb test Fireline, but it is pretty abrassive on the fish if they roll, don't recommend it on trout, good for panfish, like crappie, blue gills.

Comment

I have Fireline Crystal on all my spinning rods and I love the stuff. Like it has been said above, you want to put some mono backing on your spool before you fill it with Fireline, if you store your rods in the garage and there are large temp. changes it causes the line to slip on the spool. Switching from mono to Fireline has added about 20% more length to my casts, when I need it, and I have yet to get any wind knots with it. I have always used the Improved Clinch and have not had any problems with that knot. When fishing in the Maumee River I tend to bend and break more hooks getting out of a snag then breaking the line (20lb test). I really like this line, very sensitive, no stretch, and extremely hard to cut.

Comment

buckhunter, I have never used it on an ultralight as my ultralight rig is mostly used for stream fishing for trout from a raft where the stretch of mono works better to not rip out hooks. Also for most of the other fish I go for with the ultralight I am not concerned too much about line breakage. That being said it will allow you to get more line on the reel and cast well so it would be worth a try.
              Jim, it will definitely cut up the eyes on plastic guides. I had a less expensive rod that it basically ruined that way. Most of the mid range rods now have better guides with graphite, titanium or ceramic. I have never had a problem with those.
              One last tip, it will cut you when you try to pull knots tight or rip lures free, I bring a glove or wrap the boat rag around my hand to put the final cinch down on knots or pull on stuck lures.
              Otherwise it is awesome. You can tell when bottom type changes, detect strikes better, fish around cover with less worry.
              I have never had fireline break, the double uni knot yes so check and retie often but the stuff is tough as nails. I almost always fish with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader as we have toothy critters in MN. I do occasionally get wind knots but I fish a lot of deadline lures like the senko, topwater frogs, soft plastic jerks and it is windy in MN. The tangles come out easier than mono unless you get them cinched down and then you just have to cut and retie.
              Happy fishing!

Comment

I like the Fireline Crystal. I use 30# on jigs for flipping and for fishing top water frogs over pads. I like 10# for buzzbaits and top water poppers. As far as sensitivity, braid is just as sensitive as mono and doesn't stretch. I really like it for poppers because it doesn't sink.

Comment

Good stuff. Takes awhile to get used to the lack of stretch.

Comment

agreed with chuckles answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad