Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any good suggestions or tricks for using baitcasting reels and actually being accurate and tangle free?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good suggestions or tricks for using baitcasting reels and actually being accurate and tangle free?

Any good suggestions or tricks for using baitcasting reels and actually being accurate and tangle free?

I find I get fewer backlashes and when I do get them they are easier to untangle when I use braided line. Give it a try it may just work for you.

Comment

On most bait-casters there is a spot to make an adjustment to keep backlashes under control. The way I got taught was to correct this adjustment with EVERY new bait(of diff. weight) that you use. This as I said should help.
      Good Luck and Good Fishing!

Comment

Good advice above. I will just say to practice. It doesn't take long to get good at it. Good Luck

Comment

"Educate" your thumb by practicing with a weight. Hold the rod at about waist level and press the release with your thumb firmly on the spool. Slowly ease off on the pressure until the weight begins to drop. Practice stopping and starting several times, and then try to let the weight drop almost to the ground before stopping it. This is the same timing you will need to stop a cast before it hits the water (or a tree.) As you get better, you will be able to feather the end of the cast to decelerate the lure just above the water's surface and produce a nice soft landing. Once you get the knack, you'll have far more control than you ever could achieve with spinning or spincasting gear. For accuracy, there's no substitute for backyard practice. Try to hit a 5 gallon bucket. Any bucket contact is good at first, but ultimately, you should be able to stop the cast over the mouth of the bucket and drop it inside. Scoring a few "buckets" will pay off in more fish on your next trip, and you can always decrease the size of the bucket for more challenge. Be sure to try overhand and sidearm casts, as the different grip angle changes the feel. You are creating muscle memory that will eventually allow you to take all conscious thought out of a cast for a moment of pure fishing Zen.

Comment

make sure you have properly adjusted the reel for the weight of the lure as well as wind conditions if you start it a little too tight thats fine just as long as its not to loose

Comment

Good advice above... adjust the weight of the lure to the reel by dangling the lure from the rod tip. Back off the reel clutch adjustment until the lure drops when you hit the release. As the lure drops, tighten the clutch until it just stops the lure. From that point, you should be able to use your thumb to control things. Practice, practice, practice.

Comment

every one above are there any videos that there r to watch

Comment

I taught myself to cast a baitcaster, using cheap mono line and a bunch of it. I spooled the reel with only as much as i need and if a rat nest occurred i simply cut it all off and started again. As you get better at casting you can "get away with" less and less drag on your free spool which will maximize your distance. As for accuracy, its all practice after accepting that the hard you throwing the bait the less accurate it will be. A 2 hand cast is the least accurate and pitching is the most i would imagine.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. Start with the brake set tight and short casts. Build skill and work your way out.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZs2vAJp0Ec

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by fitch270
                        The kids have already put two deer in the freezer this year so we're pretty well set. I've been out with the bow just once for an evening sit and saw...
                        Today, 07:01 PM
                      • So is everyone ready for deer season
                        by Milldawg
                        With my hectic schedule between work and owning and operating another business now. My shooting and hunting for this year have been shelved. So I am going...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 AM
                      • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by 99explorer
                        Rumor has it that Trump will be bringing a bullhorn to the final debate tonight in Nashville, so he will not have to depend on an open microphone to be...
                        Today, 06:49 PM
                      • Debate #2: new rules
                        by FirstBubba
                        New debate rules change.

Moderator controlled "mute" button.

Who made the request?
                        The "Biden Campaign"!...
                        10-02-2020, 02:10 PM
                      • Reply to Debate #2: new rules
                        by 99explorer
                        I just checked and there are currently 49 users online at the Outdoor Life site.
                        But no political topics in the "Other" forum.
                        We
                        Today, 06:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X