Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My niece is coming over to do some fishing however I don't know the first thing about how to line a fishing pool. I purchased a

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My niece is coming over to do some fishing however I don't know the first thing about how to line a fishing pool. I purchased a

My niece is coming over to do some fishing however I don't know the first thing about how to line a fishing pool. I purchased a rod and reel combo, wieghts,and hooks for pond fishing. please help.

First do an internet search for "arbor knot" that is the knot you use to tie the line on the reel. I could describe it but the illustrations will make it clear and help you understand the technical terms like "tag end" etc.
    Run the line off the spool and down through the guides and use the arbor knot to tie it to the reel spool with the bail open.
    Run the line through a phone book to create tension and reel it onto the reel until you have filled the spool about 1/8" from the edge.
    Clip the line near the spool and tie on the hook using a "clinch knot".
    Use the internet again to find an illustration of this knot.
    Put the weight about 12-18" above the hook.
    Put the bobber on a bout 3' above that.
    Bait the hook and go fishing.
    I hope this helps, I probably left out crucial information since I have done it for so long I don't even think about it.
    Your best bet may be to take it to a local sporting goods store, MOM and POP is possible, and they will do it all for you. They can also answer alot of questions about bait, where to fish, and give better advice on depths etc. than I can without knowing where you are fishing and what you are fishing for.
    Otherwise if you have a little more info about what kind of reel and what you are fishing for we can probably get you set up.
    I really hope this helped. Have fun and good fishing, I will keep looking to see if you have more questions and info.

Comment

I would do what he said and look it up onine.

Comment

If you can't figure it out from this, go to a local tackle shop, they will be more than willing to help.

Comment

Go to youtube. There is everything there. You should be able to find something.

Comment

If your neice is young (3-12) and hasn't fished much, she will probably love catching blue gills that are abundant in most ponds. In the event it could help you, I'll share my typical kids routine: I find the kids prefer action to big fish by a landslide. Take half a loaf of bread and use it to chum the water you are fishing before you start. Break it in tiny pieces and roll each piece with your fingers into a pellet the size of a tiny spit wad and flick it out on the water. This allows it to sink below the surface. Flick them all over in about a 15 foot circle. If there are blue gill in the area, they will begin to appear and before long you will probably have a feeding frenzy. Fish tend to come from all over the lake as the word goes out. Give her a small hook two feet below a bobber and she should be able to catch quite a few. It isn't unusual to catch big fish on occassion doing this as they come to join the feeding frenzy too. Have fun!

Comment

Most rod and reel combos I've seen for pond fishing usually come prespooled with line, just take it back and get one that is prespooled and you are good to go, for now!

Comment

Agreed with chuckles answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  My Father and I built a 50'X50' pole barn to store his boat and a couple of friends boats over the winter. Just simple construction, we used 16 used...
                  Today, 04:18 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by Amflyer
                  Aaaaaaaand...there goes Derek.
                  Today, 04:04 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM
                • Reply to Trump
                  by 99explorer
                  Trump is so desperate to screw up the election that he is willing and able to damage the U.S. Postal Service by withholding necessary funding.
                  He
                  Today, 03:59 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X