Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of lures would you recommend for fishing for large mouth bass in the summer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of lures would you recommend for fishing for large mouth bass in the summer?

What type of lures would you recommend for fishing for large mouth bass in the summer?

I don't think anything beats a jitterbug late on a summer evening or night. Any top water lure that makes lots of noise would be great. Chug bugs, buzz baits, frogs, anything.

Comment

Depends. The weather here has had them sluggish the last few weeks. Top waters have been okay in the morning and late evening(the ones mentioned above, plus Pop-Rs and Zara Spooks)along the edges/ over cover. The rest of the time, soft plastics down deep, preferably in or along the edge of thick cover.

Comment

To me hot summer weather mean TOPWATER... Buzz baits, frogs, jitterbugs, etc. Theres nothing I enjoy more than when the bass are busting lures on the surface.

Comment

When the heat is on, I prefer to fish at night and/or late evening or early morning. My health has gotton to the point that it has forced me to stay out of the high heat. The best results I get at night are with a black worm texas rigged. I have also stopped using soft plastic worms and now use a black #147 Uncle Josh porker worm. When you first rig the porker worm, you have to push the hook completely through to create a hole for the hook to come through when you set it. Other than that you fish it just like soft plastic. So far I have not lost a porker worm and have been puting it back in the jar when the fishing trip is over. Just one worm has lasted me for close to a year and has caught more fish than I got with soft plastics.

For early morning and late evening I also like a Snagless Sally with a pork frog trailer. They are extremely effective in lily pads and other such cover.

Comment

Either fish really shallow in the most wicked cover you can find, or go out deep along points, humps, channel swings, etc. Use plastics in the cover. In the deep water, try football jigs, carolina rigs, deep crankbaits, and drop shots. Good luck

Comment

In the mornings and evenings topwater baits, spinner baits, and buzzbaits can work well. During the day I have been using plastic worms and creatures on the drop offs and down the side of the drop offs.

Comment

Find a soft plastic black worm. That is all I need to say! Only black, they love it this year!

Comment

Thanks for all your answers. I'll try and see if your suggestions and hopefully land some big ones.

Comment

Zoom Trick Worms
                    Inline spinnerbaits
                    Rapala Shadraps

Comment

Rapals and jigs on the hot days. they also can't say no to a live frog, rigged properly.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Changing it yp
                        by jhjimbo
                        I vacuum seal ammo for long term storage. I also vacuum pack medical supplies in my Medic bag.....
                        Today, 06:13 PM
                      • Changing it yp
                        by Old_Sarge
                        During these last few years with Covid-19 pandemic and the surge in firearms sales we experienced a heck of an ammo shortage. I can’t speak for the...
                        06-23-2022, 10:54 PM
                      • Reply to Fuz Bug
                        by jhjimbo
                        I got this on my arm while on Lake Erie. No idea what caused it. The dark centers looked like blood. No pain, do feel of a bite, no itch. I am perplexed....
                        Today, 06:10 PM
                      • Fuz Bug
                        by jhjimbo
                        Does it work on other things - like ticks?

looks like the real thing

Fuze Bug.... Our Daily Finds (gadgetrevi...
                        06-23-2022, 10:14 AM
                      • Reply to Fuz Bug
                        by franchi20
                        I checked online reviews-it's not top of line and is meant for flying insects (mosquits) so, no on ticks unless they've gone airborne. Makes a nice nickname...
                        Today, 05:55 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X