Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been getting in to making my own lures lately. Does anyone else have experience with lure making? I am looking for good res

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been getting in to making my own lures lately. Does anyone else have experience with lure making? I am looking for good res

I've been getting in to making my own lures lately. Does anyone else have experience with lure making? I am looking for good resources, books, websites, tools, parts suppliers or kits to help. I have a cheap wireforming tool and pliers that I have used to make some custom inline spinners and spinnerbaits. What else is out there?

You'll need jig head molds, even if you're making spinners. Bass Pro used to sell them. I haven't checked in years though. You'll also need something to melt the lead in. Other than that you'll need spinner blades, skirts and hooks. Various custom touches can be added, you'll need to paint them ofcourse. Good luck and add some pictures of your finished product when you get some out there.

Comment

I haven't got into that yet. Have you made any Rapala type lures yet and what types of wood did you use for your lures? I'm just getting into making Pike Spearing decoys and have only used Bass wood. I have to custom make my tail, dorsal and gill fins out of plastic or sheetmetal. It would be nice to find a manufacturer that had a catalog for these.

Comment

So far I have been jury rigging the heads with bullet weights. I will look into the molds. I have not made any wooden or plastic lures yet. Sorry to be so brief, I have to get ready for the Easter festivities. More later along with some photos of what I have come up with so far.Thanks and talk to you soon.

Comment

The best lure I ever seen made isn’t exactly legal! I watched a miner on a fallen log over a creek trying to catch fish. Frustrated he went back to his vehicle, pulled out an old military ammo box with blasting caps. He added 12ft more of wire to it and dropped it down in the water and as the fish swam up in curiosity, BANG!!! Then scoped them up!

Comment

Cabelas has a tackle craft catalog that has everything from rod making to lure making, all the gadgets you need. 800-237-4444 or www.cabelas.com

Comment

Ahh Cabelas, where would we be without thou? I just got back from their website and as usual they have most of what I am looking for. bassgittinart, have you ever used that Hagen Wire Forming tool? The reviews were all good. I live about an hour from two Cabelas stores so next time I am headed up North I will stop in and see if they have one in stock. I am old fashioned enough that I like to hold things in my hand before plunking down the cash if I can. I have to put the little nugget down for bed but I will try and get the photos uploaded tonight if possible. Thanks to all for the great feedback!
              Clay, where can I get some caps if this whole lure making thing doesn't work out?

Comment

I always thought that floating Rapalas were made from balsa wood.

Comment

MLH You're right, many Rapalas are made from balsa.
                  wallofsam, have you ever tried making the fins from old archery fletchings? I was pondering your post and looking at an old arrow so the thought came to mind. I think feathers or plastic would work and the shape would be easy to modify. The feather might even work the best as they probably have a lifelike action. I wonder if they hold up to the abuse?

Comment

Agreed with CPT BRAD answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad