Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just registered for my first bass fishing tournament. Its on the 23rd. I am fishing as a co-angler. Does anyone with tournamen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just registered for my first bass fishing tournament. Its on the 23rd. I am fishing as a co-angler. Does anyone with tournamen

I just registered for my first bass fishing tournament. Its on the 23rd. I am fishing as a co-angler. Does anyone with tournament experience have any advice, outside of the obvious? The guy I was paired with seems nice enough, but I have no idea what style of fishing he likes. Is it okay to make suggestions or ask to hit certain water as a co-angler, or should I just keep my mouth shut and let him decide? These guys are part of a fishing club that I just joined so I would rather not do anything stupid or piss anyone off.

Go by his lead and I would be reluctant to make any suggestions. If he asks about other spots then tell him your thoughts. I don't see anything wrong with asking him what patterns he is going to fish.

Comment

Assume that the person you fish with has a lot of pull with the club and try not to do anything stupid. If something stupid does happen and your partner is the cause, do not make a issue out of it. My father took my wife fishing for her first time and with pure beginners luck she beat him. He never took her back again. There has to be a lesson there somewhere.

Comment

Aside from just generally annoying the guy, which I think I can avoid, is there anything I should bring that I don't normally bring when I go out fishing or anything like that? I'm sure these questions may seem a bit stupid, but never being in a tournament before I'm really not sure what to expect. I signed up for this one on the spot. I went to a club meeting to see about joining and they asked if I wanted to fish as a guest in their next tournament. I said yes, not knowing that they were doing drawings for partners that night, and that the tournament was this month. A few minutes later I was handed a paper with the tournament rules, and told I would be fishing in boat 6. So much for preparation.

Comment

I would like to know as well. I've been thinking about joining a club nearby.

Comment

I suggest that you bring everything you intend to use for fishing including a few rods that can be rigged and ready. As a guest, I suggest that you thank your partner for allowing you to fish with him and follow his lead. The first time out is not the time to be giving directions to a pro. I suspect that if you are respectful and appreciative, you will get plenty of opportunity to catch fish and make a friend along the way.

Comment

He isn't a pro. He does however have a lot of experience fishing amateur circuit tournaments. I planned on bringing my fishing gear obviously. I meant things like, am I expected to pitch in on gas money for the boat(I assume yes), do I bring my own life jacket, anything that I wouldn't normally be bringing if I was just going out fishing for the day. I have been fishing for a long time, I am just new to tournaments.

Comment

Unless he's really getting bites using traditional tactics - heavy rod, line, and lures - I would be trying finesse tactics. Sometimes the lead angler/boat owner will be dragging crankbaits and spinnerbaits in his perfect casting position through his personal spots, while the co-angler sits on the back of the boat in spots that are new to him and in a non-optimal position using finesse techniques. Guess who catches more?

Comment

I would pre-rig at least three rods (I like to pre rig 6 myself) and lay them on the floor of the boat under my feet. I have different lures on each and can present several different lures to each area I pass that way. I do not like to use real long rods from the rear position of the boat and please pay attention about casting too close to the person in the front. My father always told me that if I hit him with a hook, I would get one right back. If you have a lure that your partner does not have, always politely offer without being pushy to let him use it. Never under any condition "know" more than your partner. Never be cheep!!! Never just offer to pay for PART of the gas, your partner is already supplying the boat, insurance, trailer, etc., so at least you can offer to pay for the food, drinks, and gas. Have a nice trip and just enjoy the experience. I only got to fish from the rear of the boat when I fished with Lew Childre and Shag back in the 70's. It is not the ideal spot to cast from but fishing clean-up was just as much fun for me because I still caught a lot of fish and learned from two of the best bass fishermen in the world at the time. Of course I also got to fish the front of the boat and guide for people like Jim Bagley the fishing lure designer. Fishing can always be fun whether you have good day at it or not so just enjoy the experience.

Comment

If the guy has 2 livewells, your fine, but if he only has one, you will need culling tags. I am a nonboater in my club, and all you have to do is just see what your boater is like, and then you can act how you feel comfortable around him. Dont act like your better than him, even if you know you are. Just fish, and don't worry so much about the money in it. Its the experience that counts. Good luck, hope you do well!

Comment

This guy that joined a club on the Arkansas River went up to where the Bass Master's pro's did in near Pine Bluff and caught 5 bass that on a stringer weighed 41 lbs, he had them all mounted on a stringer and the club responded by kicking him out, they are catch and release advocates.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. The experience is why I am doing it. I want to see if I like fishing tournaments. I don't mind fishing back of the boat. I have done it quite a few times before and done pretty well, it just wasn't in a tournament setting. Thanks for the advice about the culling tags. That is certainly something I wouldn't have thought of. I always have 3 rods rigged so I can quickly change baits, but maybe I will rig up one or 2 more.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad