Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm a small time beginner fisher and am really wanting to learn more about how to fish for certain kinds of fish and certains ki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a small time beginner fisher and am really wanting to learn more about how to fish for certain kinds of fish and certains ki

I'm a small time beginner fisher and am really wanting to learn more about how to fish for certain kinds of fish and certains kinds of water, I would like to know for a beginner fisher what is a good way to get started at bass fishing

I could give a list of items to buy, but your best bet is to go to a localfishing shop (Mom and Pop type of store) and have them outfit you with some equiptment. I will say that I would start with a small plastic worm and learn how to texas rig (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpndQeBhnU), or carolina rig (http://www.fishin.com/articles/georgewelcome/C-rigarticle/carolinarig.htm) it. Fish it slow off the bottom, I like the color red. If you are looking for a good book I like the In-Fisherman series, some of it is kinda technical but still a great book. However alot of the equiptment is going to depend on where you live and if you fishing from a boat or the banks, river or lake. Live bait is always a good choice to, you might have success with shinners or fatheads, which you can buy a bait shop. One last idea, sounds kinda cornie but at walmart they sell beginner books on all types of species, in the hunting section. They concepts are simple but they work. I don't know the name of the book series but they are usually on racks near the fishing section.

Comment

Plastic worms or live bait.

Comment

use live minnows about three to four inches long,make sure to hook them just under the skin on one side not going through the flesh.then set a bobber about three foot from the hook and toss it out about fifteen or twenty feet and wait. this is a very good way for a beginner to catch bass on any water.

Comment

Spinnerbaits are a great starter lure, just cast it out and reel it in. They are relatively weedless and don't get snagged easily. There are different ways to fish it but a steady reel with a pause once in a while will catch fish. Use any color as long as it's white.
          Buzzbaits are a good beginner topwater lure. Once again just cast and reel, hang on the strikes are vicious. White is a great color choice.
          Another good topwater is a weedless frog, just twitch it through the lily pads.
          Use these and the plastic baits mentioned above and you will catch bass.
          From there the techniques and tactics get more complex and a good book or the In-Fisherman DVD series are worth every penny. I have gotten years of use out of a good knot book that shows you how to tie all the knots you will need. (Fisherman's Knots and Rigs by Bill McNally) Also check out the TV shows, subscribe to In-Fisherman and F&S. Bill Dance has a good show that is more about teaching than advertising.
          I recommend starting with spinning gear as baitcasting reels can be harder to use. Have fun and good fishing!

Comment

Get out there and go after those fish, or pair up with someone locally that is a bass fisherman, there is no better way to learn than time on the water.

Lures:
            Soft plastics, spinnerbaits, topwater baits,

The way I learned was fishing with my dad, he would turn me lose and let me fish the way I wanted, I developed my own way of doing things, but he would always offer tips to make things easier, That's why I recommend going with some experienced anglers who can give you some tips and get you out on the water.

Comment

The beauty of bass fishing is that you don't need an arsenal of equipment to have fun. It depends a little on where you live and under what conditions you fish but if I had the following I could fish anywhere and catch bass (in order of importance for your tackle box):
              #1 Texas rig rubber worm or lizzard, I like a small assortment of colors but if I only had one it would be pumpkin or green fleck for those bottom feeders. Cast, wait til the ripples dissapear and crank SLOW.
              #2 Rapala Shadrap in silver or gold depending on what type and size of shad or herring they feed on. For top water feeders along the shoreline, structure or open water.
              #3 Spinner bait - My favorite is green and white. Cast it over structure and along banks and shorelines early in the AM and the last hour before dark or all through the night for that matter. Rake the edge of rushes.

#X Using a large chub minnow on a 3-5 foot leader going to a 2oz weight will KILL bass. Let it sit on the bottom off a point or structure and wait. I don't call this "fishing". I call this "CATCHING". I don't usually fish this way because it is not as sporting as having them explode on your lure, but if you need one for dinner, their is no more productive method of catching bass except for dynamite. If you can't afford all the lures, start from the top and work down... there are lots more lures on the market and over time you can stock up. With two each of the above and can pretty much catch bass anywhere. Good luck. Oh... by the way, two tips that can make a big difference for you: a)sharpen your hooks so the tips will scratch your fingernail as you slide the tip over your fingernail side to side. If it slides and doesn't scratch, it needs to be sharpened. Too many fish unhook during the fight because the hook doesn't penetrate jaw. b) Test your knots... Monofiliment cracks for all of us and 10 lb line can break at 1 lb or less if you don't have a good knot. Pull on them to check... then when you get that lunker stuck in the lilly pads, you can get him out and into the boat instead of saying "X$#X MY LINE BROKE! Did you see the size of that lunker?". Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Comment

Agreed with DakotaMan answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  The latest rumors on the pandemic.
                  They have just discovered that drinking cow urine protects against COVID-19.
                  Who'd have thunk it?
                  Today, 10:38 PM
                • 16 Years
                  by jhjimbo
                  So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                  08-12-2020, 09:20 PM
                • Reply to 16 Years
                  by 99explorer
                  I love it when I have these guys on the ropes, with each one hoping the other will bail them out.
                  Hey CRM, have you heard any good conspiracy theories
                  Today, 10:19 PM
                • Reply to Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by FirstBubba
                  "... I should have been in Africa yesterday. Damned coronavirus! ..."
                  Last edited by Ontario Honker Hunter; Today, 06:25 PM.
                  Today, 10:15 PM
                • Need advice on choice of 20 gauge semi auto
                  by derek7
                  Hi everyone,

I have one question regarding how to choose the right shotgun for myself. I want a 20 gauge semi auto with interchangeable barrel...
                  08-11-2020, 09:03 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X