Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

I use a Repel popper on small farm ponds. Cast near a fallen tree or near the bank and let the lure sit for about 20 seconds. Often bass will hit a popper after it sits there for a little bit. Retrieve with a twitch of the rod about every 5 to 10 seconds after that. Work the lure all the way to the boat or bank, I have caught several fish right next to the boat, they will follow the lure for 20 feet sometimes before they strike. Oh, your first couple of pops should be kind of soft. if the bass is near you don't want to scare the fish with a big splash. Also lay the lure down on the water was quietly as possible. This is easiest done with a bait caster where you have more control over the speed of the lure and line movement. I hope this was helpful and good luck!

Comment

Ahh, love them Rebel Poppers!
      I fish them somewhat different, than most people.
      The first thing I do,is to take the hair off of the back treble hook.
      Before you make your first cast, move the knot that you have tied onto the Popper, to the very top of the nose.
      Make yor cast and just let it sit there, for about 30-seconds, or until all of the ripples have disappeared.
      Twitch it ever so slightly.

If nothing happens, place your rod tip next to the surface of the water, and jerk it while winding three times.
      Stop and pause, allow the Popper to re-surface, and let it sit for awhile.
      Repeat the jerk and wind retreive all the way back to the shore.

When you move the hair from the back of the treble hook, it takes away part of the floatation of the lure, and allows it to travel, approxmately 4 to 8-inches below the surface of the water, on your jerk,wind and retreive.

If you want to use this method, push the knot to the top of the Poppers nose prior to each cast.

The bass will nail it, as it slowly rises from the jerk, wind and retreive or just as you begin to repeat the process.

Mix it up and have fun!

Comment

i have caught bass in small ponds with poppers very often i find the best way to use them is to find what works in your area try different methods until you find something that works i personally like to cast near cover and twitch it softly a few times before it settles to act as if a bug has fallen in the water and is trying to get back to shore asap

Comment

I can't add anything about technique but I love to fish poppers at night, not just at dusk but in the dark dark. When I used to work 2nd shift I would fish after work at 3:00 am and catch lots of nice bass. At night the wind dies down and the surface is calm, making a popper even that much more effective.

Comment

One of my favorite lures to use, my technique is similar to those mentioned above, the first thing I do is let the lure sit, then retrieve it with small twitches and then stop and let it sit again.

The one thing that is great about that lure is that you can vary the retrieve and fish it lots of different ways, if one way is not working change to another technique until you find the one that works best.

Some days they want it fast with a lot of surface noise, other days they want a subtle stop and go technique

Comment

Great explanation of techiques guys. I would only add that I typically only use poppers in the early morning or at night. I find that other lures are more productive during most daylight hours but nothing is more exciting than seeing that popper disappear into that big mouth as the bass sky rockets out of the pond at top speed.

Comment

i own an 11 acre lake/pond and spooks seem to work best.

Comment

In my ponds near my house i use a crankbait or live minnows.throw it out let it float to the top then twitch it 2 or 3 times and pause then repeat that.It drives my bass crazy with all the rattling noise.

Comment

Top water or shallow water artificial lures like crank baits, work well in ponds. Choose lures rated for 12 feet or less of water. Poppers fit this category, as do lipless crankbaits.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Rest Easy
                      by FirstBubba
                      "... I took your advice and blocked the slimy nine and the red rodent, ..."

Welcome! It's pretty sad to rant and rave on a blog...
                      Today, 04:39 PM
                    • Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      Rest easy 2nd amendment, you are safe now - for the time being....
                      Yesterday, 08:55 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by 99explorer
                      Even if the Democrats take the White House and the Senate, it will still take 60 Senate votes to kill the filibuster, because of the filibuster!
                      Today, 03:02 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by jhjimbo
                      They know IF Trump wins and holds the Senate and picks up some down ticket it will mean the end of the Dem party for at least ten years if not more....
                      Today, 02:39 PM
                    • Reply to Rest Easy
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      I am most pleased with the Barrett confirmation, now we only need to see the fallout from the D’s. With the reelection of Trump, probably not too much...
                      Today, 01:18 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X