Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

whats the best technique to use with a popper to catch largemouth bass on a small pond?

gurgle and pause, use a medium action rod so you dont give it short pulls, do long strokes, make it gurble.

Comment

Pop, Pop, sit, pop, pop, sit, I usually let them sit for a few seconds as this is when most of my strikes occur.

Comment

I use a Repel popper on small farm ponds. Cast near a fallen tree or near the bank and let the lure sit for about 20 seconds. Often bass will hit a popper after it sits there for a little bit. Retrieve with a twitch of the rod about every 5 to 10 seconds after that. Work the lure all the way to the boat or bank, I have caught several fish right next to the boat, they will follow the lure for 20 feet sometimes before they strike. Oh, your first couple of pops should be kind of soft. if the bass is near you don't want to scare the fish with a big splash. Also lay the lure down on the water was quietly as possible. This is easiest done with a bait caster where you have more control over the speed of the lure and line movement. I hope this was helpful and good luck!

Comment

Ahh, love them Rebel Poppers!
          I fish them somewhat different, than most people.
          The first thing I do,is to take the hair off of the back treble hook.
          Before you make your first cast, move the knot that you have tied onto the Popper, to the very top of the nose.
          Make yor cast and just let it sit there, for about 30-seconds, or until all of the ripples have disappeared.
          Twitch it ever so slightly.

If nothing happens, place your rod tip next to the surface of the water, and jerk it while winding three times.
          Stop and pause, allow the Popper to re-surface, and let it sit for awhile.
          Repeat the jerk and wind retreive all the way back to the shore.

When you move the hair from the back of the treble hook, it takes away part of the floatation of the lure, and allows it to travel, approxmately 4 to 8-inches below the surface of the water, on your jerk,wind and retreive.

If you want to use this method, push the knot to the top of the Poppers nose prior to each cast.

The bass will nail it, as it slowly rises from the jerk, wind and retreive or just as you begin to repeat the process.

Mix it up and have fun!

Comment

Use the methods from the first 2 posts, depending on how the fish are feeling. If they are being really skittish, just do one tiny little pop, let it sit for 2-3 seconds, repeat.

My advice would be to use a Jitterbug with a slow steady retrieve, with some pauses thrown in.

Comment

Listen to 2Poppa. He went into topwater secrets detail that I'm a little too lazy for. He knows all the tricks.

Comment

Cast....Pause....Jerk..Jerk..Jerk...Pause

Comment

all good but also try this for fly fishing on a popper fly

Comment

Top water or shallow water artificial lures like crank baits, work well in ponds. Choose lures rated for 12 feet or less of water. Poppers fit this category, as do lipless crankbaits.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad