Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want to start trolling for largemouth bass what lures should i get

i want to start trolling for largemouth bass what lures should i get

I like the F5 flatfish. Just be sure none of the hooks are caught on the line.

Comment

j-9 jointed rapala

Comment

99explorer beat me to it. I second his choice although jointed rapala is just about as good. Whatya say, 99, green or red color?

Comment

Honker,
          It all depends on the situation and the terrain.
          Silver has the most unpredictable success rate. I once painted one purple with my wife's nail polish and added white polka dots, because of an article I read somewhere. It almost never worked.

Comment

trolling for largemouth?

Comment

jamesti,
              It's a common practice when rowing from one hotspot to another on a large lake. But it's not very practical when zooming with a 150 hp Evinrude at full throttle

Comment

thanks, 99. just never heard of it.

Comment

@99explorer...That is exactly how I discovered it. We figured if we were rowing from spot to spot anyways we might as well drag a couple baits. Haven't tried the flathead, but the jointed rapala has produced quite a few fish.

Comment

to clarify...I don't mean I discovered it in the sense that I was the first to do it. Just that I had never heard of trolling for bass and decided to try it and see what happened.

Comment

dtbc,
                      No need to clarify.
                      We understood what you meant. Actually, I think trolling was discovered by Hernando DeSoto around the time he discovered the Mississippi River

Comment

I really doubt it will be worth it, but I would use a shallow crank bait so it doesn't get caught on any weeds.

Comment

if the water is shallow use grubs, or other soft plastics, as silly as it sounds some of the biggest bass are caught on small soft plastics, going for a quick small snack, I've caught a 6lb bass on a curly tail grub. If the water is on the deeper side go with the classics- A SPOON! spoons work great for big bass, also mix them, replace the treble with a single on the spoon and put a curly tail grub on it

Comment

if you are new to a lake its a nice way to get an overview of the lake.

Comment

If you want to troll for bass you just need to know what depth the fish are and the water depth. Choose appropriate crankbait to get to the level of the fish. morning and dusk are best!! Mid-day, troll deepest cranks you can!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Season ends
                                by Amflyer
                                Got-dammit Mtnhunter, that's not news I'm keen to hear. Keep at it man, and have a blessed Christmas. Slàinte Mhath, and RTR!...
                                Yesterday, 11:57 PM
                              • Season ends
                                by Ontario Honker Hunter
                                On my way home ... finally. Headed to West Side (Montana) for Thanksgiving with my brothers but a very nasty blizzard delayed me till Saturday. After...
                                Yesterday, 12:41 AM
                              • Reply to End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Dew man guy who owns the land a farm of his wants the spot so I’m out. All of this started since there is monster running around out there....
                                Yesterday, 11:10 PM
                              • End of an era
                                by Milldawg
                                Well lost my hunting spot of 7 years last Saturday. So now I’m joining the lease crowd. Any advice this will be my first year leasing ground next year....
                                Yesterday, 03:35 PM
                              • Reply to Season ends
                                by WA Mtnhunter
                                I’m 70, battling cancer, trying to stay in shape, and still working my dogs. Not going to quit until I can’t get on my feet. I’ve had a good run,...
                                Yesterday, 10:39 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X