Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on polarized fishing glasses. I don't know how in detail anyone could go, bu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on polarized fishing glasses. I don't know how in detail anyone could go, bu

Hey I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on polarized fishing glasses. I don't know how in detail anyone could go, but in specific the biggest factor I am concerned with is if there is an overall brand that shows great quality, perhaps model but more specifically smaller details such as lens tint. Sorry, I know this is a picky question but any help would be great. Thanks alot.

If you don't mind spending the money Orvis are the best I've owned. Can pick between glass and polycarb. Glass is heavier but better optically. I also don't scratch them up as much.

The recommended color depends on the type of fishing you do and personal preference. I spend most of my time on shallow streams where there can be sun but a lot of shade - usually end up with amber or brown. Open water guys might prefer something else.

Comment

You know this is totally off the subject of fishing but I picked up a pair of ESS glasses that are dark tinted and polarized and here's what I like, the are Ballistically Approved by the military, which means I can wear them and have eye pro in and out of uniform. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

if you can afford them i like Oakley.

Comment

I like my Oakley XLJ halfjacket with the fire lens. One of the best things about Oakley is that you can go online and custom order your glasses, they will pretty much be a one of a kind pair. I did this and have yet to see another pair like them.

Comment

My favorite is the Oakley M-Frame. The lenses are made to be interchangeable. They come in polarized and non polarized. They are very durable, comfortable, and wont fall off. I can go on and on on this, but the important thing is how concerned you are with real polarization. Polarization is a process where they line up the molecules in the glass to face the same direction so that light can only pass through certain directions. If you look at the glass from an angle it will be totally black. It's kinda cool, but this is one of those situations where you get what you pay for and Oakley's aren't cheap for a reason.

Comment

Yeah, I should have specified. I'm not too concerned with price. For right now, essentially I was trying to get down to the best type. In particular, I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the lens tint. I usually fish on rivers, lakes and larger ponds. I know that certain shades of tint are better for certain conditions, just wondering overall what tint would be the best. Thanks for all the input so far as well, its definitely helpful.

Comment

I recently purchased a pair of Wylie X glasses, they have an added insert to block out extra light and they are military grade as well.

I have been very pleased with them

Comment

As dwaynez was getting at....make sure there is a minimal amount of space for light to get in around the lenses. This usually means going with a pair of glasses that have heavier/larger frames. It makes a huge difference if there is a lot of light coming in vs. no light around the lenses. I have a pair of Maui Jim sun glasses, which have great polarization, but the frames let too much light in for them to be effective enough for me, so I usually end up wearing an older pair of shades or cheapo ones that block out peripheral light better.

Comment

The Oakley M-Frame has nice wrap-around type glasses. If you watch baseball, they're the kind that most of the players wear, so they're good. I have the non-polarized kind and I used them all last summer on the river and they worked great. The lens I have is the black iridium lens. check out the site: http://oakley.com/pd/2023/5393

Comment

Don't worry about the brand name on the glasses. Get ones with lenses crafted by 'Bosch & Lomb'. Those are good glasses.

Comment

Other good brands are Sun Cloud, Maui Jim, and Costa del Mar. The above posts are correct in that you should get a pair with as large a frame/lens as possible. Spring hinges on the arms are worth every penny. A good all around tint is rose or a lighter amber. If you want to cover all your bases get a set with interchangeable lenses and get a darker amber and a light yellow. I have never had Oakleys but they have been getting great reviews. I will have to try them. Oh yeah, make sure they do not pinch at all in the store or you will get a headache after a couple of hours fishing. Finally, get a pair of Croakies or something to hold them around your neck so you do not have to watch them slowly dissapear into the depths. It will make you cry.

Comment

i personally like the oakley half jacket with interchangeable lenses i usually dont have a problem with light getting in as i wear a ball cap to reduce glare that much more

Comment

Orvis.

Comment

I bought a $20 pair from basspro w/ light brown tint. Wore them constantly on a 4 day trout trip in March, and they worked excellent. Saw ton's of fish thru the water, and the lighter tint worked great in the evening. Also, when I lose them or break them, as I most definitely will, I'm only out $20. If money's no option, then go top of the line I guess.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad