Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding on to BeeKeepers question, what is your favorite way to prepare fish. Seasonings, ingredients, cooking method, etc......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rudyglove27
    replied
    Agreed with Beekeeper answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Leave a comment:

• COLORADOKID
    replied
    I AM SURE YOU ALL HAVE HEARD OF EMERIL AND HIS ESSENCE IF NOT GO TO FOOD NETWORK.COM AND YOU CAN GET IT THERE MIX THAT AND SOME TENDA QUICK CORNMEAL AND FLOUR MIX AND FRY THEM IN SOME BUTTER AND OIL AND YOU HAVE YOURSELF A REALLY GOOD FILET.GOES GOOD ON A HARD ROLL WITH SOME TARTER SAUCE AS WELL.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Bowers
    replied
    My grandad used to fry his own fish, and I loved it. The fishing gene didn't seem to be inherited much after that.

Your skill levels are all way higher than mine. My favorite method is to turn to the waitress and say; "I'll have the salmon.".

Leave a comment:

• texastriedandtrue
    replied
    salt lemon pepper a little lemon juice and garlic then either grilled over the open fire or baked in the oven fat side up

Leave a comment:

• jbird
    replied
    I also use a flour/cornmeal mix w/lots of spices. Some crushes saltines and breadcrumbs too.
    I soak my fish in buttermilk overnight, or @ least an hour or 2 before battering. Really works good on strong tasting fish.
    Gonna try the 7up, sounds good.

Leave a comment:

• dwaynez
    replied
    I use a flour/cornmeal mix with black pepper, cajun spices, and garlic powder.

Dip fish of choice in a seasoned egg wash and deep fry in peanut or cottonseed oil.

If I want a sweeter taste to the fish, dip the fish in sprite or 7up and then batter, the sugar in the soda will stick to the meat and give it a nice, sweet flavoring.

Leave a comment:

• CPT BRAD
    replied
    First of all Beekeeper call me next time you cook I'm there!

I like a flour cornmeal mix, salt and pepper, deep fried. serve with lemon and tartar sauce.

If you like healthy, broil on a flat grill or skillet with some lemon pepper and you've got some good fish!

I like filleted (SP?) bass the best, the texture is a little stiffer and it holds up better than crappie or catfish. Especially the next day after microwaving.

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Mmmm, hushpuppies ... nothing goes better with fried fish. Thanks, Beekeeper, now I have a taste for those along with crawfish. I need to visit some friends down south.

Leave a comment:

• Jim in Mo
    replied
    Besides the normal salt/pepper, I like using lemon pepper seasoning and most of what everybody else said.

Leave a comment:

• Beekeeper
    replied
    I'm a southern boy and I do love it deep fried in peanut oil after dredging in seasoned corn meal. If the fish is a little on the stong side, give it a roll in yellow mustard before the cornmeal dredge. Serve with cole slaw, hand cut fries and hushpuppies drizzled in honey.

I love to blacken any flakey fish using cajun seasoning. It grills well with the same seasoning also, usually I use Tony Chachere's Cajun seasoning.

Broiled, lightly salted with butter and garlic is also a tasty treat.

Leave a comment:

• peter
    replied
    usually have it plain, still tastes good

Leave a comment:

• MLH
    replied
    Simple is usually best. Grilled, just brush with olive oil and salt and pepper. Maybe some seafood seasoning for something different. Pan fried - dredge in flour with salt and pepper (maybe some corn meal), and fry in butter and oil. Deep fried - beer or tempura batter.

Leave a comment:

• rezavoirdog
    replied
    When I was a kid, when we went camping in the Beartooth Mountains, in South Central Montana, I remember catching pan-sized rainbows and brookies and just taking off the heads and out the guts and wrapping the rest in foil and toss'em in the glowing coals for like 10-20 minutes, take it out unwrap it and dinner was served! What a great meal and memory!

Leave a comment:

• wallofsam
    replied
    If it's walleye, I let it sit in a bowl of milk for an hour and then bake it with butter, garlic salt and pepper, and a little cayenne. It comes out nice and flaky!

Leave a comment:

• shane
    replied
    Wild brook trout, garlic, butter, done.

Leave a comment:

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad