Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bait to use during the spring fishing season for bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best bait to use during the spring fishing season for bass?

What is the best bait to use during the spring fishing season for bass?

I don' know about the absolute BEST lure, but I'm real partial to plastic lizards in the early spring. Pumpkin works well for me.

Comment

I personally like a Hildebrant 3/8oz gold blade bl/yl skirt Snagless Sally with a piece of Uncle Josh pork frog on the back of it at this time of the year in south Alabama. Now that being said, worm fishing with a Texas rig will probably be a good place to start depending on the water temperature.

Comment

I personaly think that a hedon zara spook in lepard frog coler is the best choice for bass anytime but for early spring I like 3" tubes in any coler

Comment

i could tell you the bait we use to catch all of our bass big bass too but its a secret bait the 2nd best we use is a black powerworm

Comment

If you're up in Wisconsin's Northwoods, the best bait i've found is a chatterbait.

Comment

during post spawn try creature baits like crawfish and frogs.

Comment

Early spring/prespawn: suspending jerkbaits, finesse jigs, (slow moving baits)
                Spawn: Any texas rigged soft plastic(tubes, lizards, etc.) Can use tons of lures at this time
                Postspawn: Early morning topwaters, floating jerkbaits, spinnerbaits

You can fish basically any lure throughout the spring, just try different techniques and find out your favorite

Comment

Ethan3 got a lot of them. In the spring I also use a jig with some sort of craw trailer.

Comment

Jig in pig dark blue, slow rolling a white spinnerbait, Strike King series 3 crankbaits.... for spincasters Those cheap Johnson Beetle Spin lures work great.

Comment

Plastic lizards are the way to go. Unbeatable.

Comment

Plastic lizards are the way to go. Unbeatable.

Comment

depends on water color...sunny or cloudy...it depends on the water temp if the water is cold i'll search with a slower search tactic, and then pick em out with slower finesse tactics...if the water temp is warm enough and the fish are active enough...i'm going faster

Comment

Pre-spawn fish are not too finicky. They are trying to bulk up and speed growth coming out of winter to prepare for the spawn. The best place for them to do this is chasing baitfish against cover. Try to mimic the baitfish in your spot. Sometimes fish is not the top of the menu. Ever heard of "matching the hatch"?

Comment

If your down here in northern Mississippi, i recommend the pumpkin seed power worms with the bright chartreuse tails for soft plastics, and for the crank baits, i recommend a Bandit, 6-8 feet deep runner, try both natural colors or fluorecent

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad