Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does lunar phases affect fishing

Does lunar phases affect fishing

it does very much, but not as much in the spring. in the spring fishing is much more dependent on the sun, when its out, fish hoard close to shore to get warm fast. However in late-mid summer, fish are too hot, and get into the deeper colder water. On nights when there is a full moon, the fish can feed in the cooler night water and not overheat. Crappie and walleye have adapted large eyes to feed on nights with moon light.

Comment

oh wait, moon does effect fishing in another way, water density. mainly in larger bodies of water, days with a full moon it will pull on the water enough to make it slightly less dense, allowing more oxygen in the water and easier movement.

Comment

Mostly for the guys fising the coast where they have high and low tides

Comment

Yes along with weather patterns.

Comment

G"YEP!

Need to watch the Discovery Channel DUDE!

Comment

Yes. The moon effects all game, to some degree. If you are ignoring the moon during deer season, yer foolin' yerself.

Comment

Lunar phases do have an effect on most fish and game.
                My sister who is an emergency RN tell me it effects people also!

Comment

yes but i've heard that weather is more important because before a cold front the fish will go into a feeding frenzy, and in windy weather musky will bite better.

Comment

I agree with muskiemaster. Weather plays an important role too. Especially the barometric pressure. Before a storm, which is like every other day during the summer in Alabama, the fish will start feeding heavily. I always go before storms and I will usually catch fish.

Comment

http://www.solunarforecast.com/

Comment

It definitely makes a difference especially when they overlap with dawn, dusk or with weather phenomena. I like the new moon overhead for day fishing and love to fish topwaters under the full moon.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad