Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok stupid question, what causes "worm burn" in tackel boxes and styrofoam corks, how do you stop it and where do you guys store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok stupid question, what causes "worm burn" in tackel boxes and styrofoam corks, how do you stop it and where do you guys store

Ok stupid question, what causes "worm burn" in tackel boxes and styrofoam corks, how do you stop it and where do you guys store your rubber baits?

can't help you with the first part of the question but I store my rubber baits in the bag they come in and just leave them in the bottom of my tackle box. I don't leave my tackle box in the boat where it can heat up though.

Comment

The chemicals in the worms do it of course but you would think after all these years they would have changed that.

Comment

i'm with rabbitpolice...i just store them in the original bags. Of course, even that is pointless if you leave your tacklebox outdoors - especially in the Alabama summer heat.

Comment

Plasticizers - chemicals that keep the baits flexible attack a lot of plastics. Higher the heat the faster they leech out. Agree - original bag is the best place to keep them - it's designed to better resist the chemicals. Seems a tackle box company would see it as a competitive advantage to provide a plastic worm resistant tray for storage.

Comment

I have always store my twister tails in plastic trays without any problems. But, I also keep all my tackle in the basement after I use it, my tails are never in the heat for a long time frame.

Comment

MLH hit the nail on the head. I keep'um in the original wrap also.

Comment

im with them to the worms have a chemical that melts the corks when they get hot, just dont put them together.

Comment

Thanks guys I guess I did a bad thing. I took my old tackle box and put all my tubes, worms, and craws in it and dubbed it the rubber box. I put all my spinners and such in a new box. Guess I'll just keep my rubber box out of the sun and closed as much as possible.

Comment

I keep all of my soft plastics in bags to help protect them, I also store my corks in bags or plastic tubs to keep them protected.

The best tip is to keep your tackle out of the sun or direct heat to protect your investment.

One thing I learned from my first batch of worms that burned in the sun, was to cut thick bricks of styrofoam and lay old soft plastics on it, they will melt into the styrofoam and you have a cheap worm mold.

Comment

Great answer MLH and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to 16 Years
                        by Ontario Honker Hunter
                        Pighunter: Someone on here some years back made a big deal about being Jewish and not caring for Christian morality shoved in his face. I couldn't remember...
                        Today, 02:22 PM
                      • 16 Years
                        by jhjimbo
                        So, if Biden wins the White House will have been under the control of black/brown for up to 16 years, yet they only represent about 13% of the population...
                        Yesterday, 09:20 PM
                      • Reply to Another New Upper
                        by DakotaMan
                        I haven't tried the 6.5 Grendel PH. It is a pretty powerful close range cartridge for its size but it isn't fast enough with those heavier bullets to...
                        Today, 02:20 PM
                      • Another New Upper
                        by DakotaMan
                        Milldawg inspired me so I finished my new 6mm AR upper as a Covid time killer project. I had made a 6mm Creedmoor with an 8 twist Bartlein barrel for...
                        Today, 12:54 PM
                      • Reply to Another New Upper
                        by DakotaMan
                        He used H4350 and the Berger 105g Hybrid. He cleaned it religiously but didn't know about carbon ring until I saw the barrel. Overbore cartridges cause...
                        Today, 02:11 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X