Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok I am looking for about a 16 foot or larger, flat bottom aluminum boat. I plan on lake fishing mostly for crappie and bass.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok I am looking for about a 16 foot or larger, flat bottom aluminum boat. I plan on lake fishing mostly for crappie and bass.

Ok I am looking for about a 16 foot or larger, flat bottom aluminum boat. I plan on lake fishing mostly for crappie and bass. Anyone recommend a brand, motor, horse power range? I like stick steer because I plan on using it by myself most of the time. Pros and Cons of that set up? Thanks!

I have a 13' aluminum I got cheap and cleaned up and rigged a casting deck. I have a 20hp mercury on it that gets me around pretty good. You might want at least 40hp though. Stick steer is ok, but a wheel would be good. Next boat. Have to steer my trolling motor by hand too and that's not good. Upgrading to a new Minn Kota foot control soon, I think that's the most important piece.

Comment

Are you fishing big lakes or small lakes? You'll want a 25hp minimum. HP depends on size of boat and I don't just mean length. You need to consider width and height of sides. Somewhere near the transom will be a tag stating the max recommended hp for the boat. If you put a 40hp on a 16 footer aluminum boat it should really run. I have a 18ft lowe riverjon with a 3cyl. 3carb 40hp Mariner and it is surprisingly fast.

Comment

Jim in Mo and Kkeltic have pretty much said it. The only thing i would add is make sure the boat you get has carpet or something to deaden the sound of your moving around and equipment falling. If you put a 40 hp motor on the back of a 16 ft john boat along with a 20 gallon fuel tank and batteries. You will limit the amount of gear and people you can have in the boat. Just some things to think about before you buy.

Comment

Brad - take a look at a Gheenoe. A guy I know has one and swears by it. He picked it up used for a good price. Extremely stable. He ripped out the bait well to get some more room. Can't remember what power motor he has on the back, but he also rigged an electric to the front.

Comment

we use about a 15 foot jon boat for duck hunting with a mercury 9.9 2 cycle and it is great.

Comment

I would get a 16' G3 with a 90hp yamaha. That is just my opinion. Have always had good luck with them and they are comfortable.

Comment

rabbitpolice88 brought up a good point. I have 3/4 inch plywood carpeted bottom. It makes walking easier, as for as silence I don't worry about it, the river's noisy as it is. Now concerning gas tanks that's different. A 25 or 40 horse motor doesn't need no more than a 6-12 gallon tank. I use a 6. If you buy a big motor, 90hp, you'll need bigger tank, 12gallon. Believe it or not you don't travel as far as you think on the water. It's the amount of time your out there. Go small on gas tank and go from there.

Comment

I would respectfully disagree with Jim in Mo. If you are going to be fishing in a lake for bass or crappie your approach will need to be quiet. Lakes over all are pretty quiet and sound travels a lot better under water than it does above. If the lake has a lot of fishing pressure the fish are going to be that much more weary of unusual sounds from a boat. I fish with a 17 foot Basstracker powered by a 25 horse 2 stroke Johnson. It has a 13 gallon fuel tank in it. On a good day of fishing I will use about 3/4 of a tank. So if you get a 40 hp 2 stroke you will most likely need a little bigger fuel tank than 6 gallons. I couldn't tell you about a 4 stroke as I don't have experience with one but I am told that they get a little better fuel economy than a 2 stroke. So Jim in Mo may be right on that one. Again this is just one man's opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

I have a 16 foot aluminum basstracker with a 9.9. It scoots along just fine. A little less fine with others in the boat. Most of the lakes I fish have a 10 hp limit.

I have a forward and rear casting deck with a bow mounted trolling motor and live well. It's hard to beat this set up. I would reccommend a Minn-Kota trolling motor. I have a 2 cycle Merc that has been bullet proof for about 5 years now. I would put a fishfinder on the bow and your anchor so you have it all there when you need it.

Comment

First thing to do before buying a boat is to determine the limits of the lakes you are going to fish. If most of the lakes that you want to fish have a 18ft or smaller limit then you want to buy something that fits. Many lakes have horsepower limits, 25, 50 etc. so you need to do a little homework based on where you want to fish first.

Comment

Brad,

I've had a Lowe 1654 since 1990. It has fished fresh and salt water. It is rigged with a stick and has a 30 HP Evinrude. Has been super dependable. The old Evinrude has about run out of hours though. I have found that set up and HP to fish nicely, and carry heavy loads. With 2 fishermen the boat planes quickly and will run about 20 MPH at 3/4 throttle. Plenty fast for me! I'll replace the motor with another 30, haven't made up my mind as to brand.

Comment

rabbitpolice,
                          My 40 Mariner is a 2 stroke and I get about 6 mile to gallon unless I open it up and 3rd carb kicks in, then its bout 3, thats 36 miles on cruise. I fish on rivers not lakes.

Comment

Beekeeper that is nearly exactly what I'm looking at I found a lowe that is 16x52 with a 35 horse on it. It is a shallow drive "Tunnel boat?" I'm not familiar with the set up but it will run in 8" of water. Anyone now anything about that? Its a regular Johnson 2 stroke. Just sets up about 6-8 inches higher on the transom.

Comment

I know several guys who run the tunnel hull boats on the rivers in my area. They will run in shallow water a little better. They all like the boat. Hanlding wise they seem about the same.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad