Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is better in clear water during fall: swimbaits,or jerkbaits

What is better in clear water during fall: swimbaits,or jerkbaits

I never catch anything on swimbaits so I am biased. Many assure me they do indeed work. Regardless, jerkbaits would be my choice, you can work them faster and more erratically and that can be key in fall when fish can be triggered by speed.

Comment

I catch fish on jerkbaits year round but swimbaits will work somedays when nothing else will. If you have got them both throw them both.

Comment

Well that depends on where you are and what the main forage is, and how big the bass are. However, i would go with the jerkbait if i was you. In clear water, those things are deadly. Try both though. Remember when using swimbaits to try to match the color and size of the bait to the size and color of the baitfish being eaten.

Comment

jerkbaits stay in the "zone" better for fall fishing...but don't don't forget the beauty of swimbaits for multiple types of approaches

Comment

swinbaits are good for stained water or cloudy days but a firetiger color jerkbait fished super fast works great on sunny days or clear water

Comment

I catch all kinds of bass all year round with Topwater poppers, and they are my go-to bass lure by far, but if i had to choose between swimbaits and jerk baits, i would go for jerk baits for sure. I have very good luck with jerkbaits on bass, but i find swim baits for good for pike and muskie but not so much bass.

Comment

I would say a jerk bait. I will be specific in telling you that one that is almost guaranteed to work is the XCaliber XT3 Twitch Bait and the XS4 Stick Bait in the clown color for clear water. These lures are pricey but almost always produce fish in your situation.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad