Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just recently purshased a low profile bait caster reel the only problem is iv never used one of them befor i only used spin ca

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just recently purshased a low profile bait caster reel the only problem is iv never used one of them befor i only used spin ca

I just recently purshased a low profile bait caster reel the only problem is iv never used one of them befor i only used spin casters and every time i try to use it after three or four casts iv got this big rats nest on my reel and i dont know what im doing wrong iv tryed keeping my thum litely on the spool but that dos not seem to work eather what can i do to fix this problem

Use the magnetic brakes.

Comment

Ya use magnetic breaks. If you need any more help look at this website.

http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

It's very detailed and should help with any more further questions.

Comment

His reel may or may not have magnetic brakes. It does take a while to become accustomed to a casting reel after using push-buttons your whole life. You will learn in time, just have to stick with it.

Comment

I strongly agree with T's website. It was the most helpful of any advice that I found- and practice, practice, practice, and when you're done, practice some more. A guide once told me that the average hours of practice that it takes to master a baitcaster is around 60.

Comment

Tie a weight to the end of the line and go out in the backyard and just start practicing casting. It's a good idea to use your thumb, maybe try adding a bit more pressure. Throw out some paper plates and practice casting to them at different distances, this will definetly help you gain control of that reel and you'll be cathcing fish in no time!

Comment

If you have magnetic brakes, set them all the up to 10. Also tighten the knob on the right side(dont know the name, clutch?) so that when you press the button the lure will not drop at all by itself until you get the hang of it. Then as you get better you can start to loosen both. Also you have to adjust both knobs every time you put on a different weight lure. Good Luck!

Comment

My first baitcaster years ago didn't have mag brakes but what helped is when I cast I would then turn wrist inward so reel is now in verticle position as line goes out. It worked.

Comment

Jesse, I generally agree with much of what is posted above. Here's another thing that will help. From our archives (which you can search), here's an article on how to set up your reel so it won't backlash. Good luck!
                  http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/fishing/2004/10/avoid-backlash-when-using-baitcasting-reels-freshwater-fishing

Comment

It's tough when you first start using a baitcaster, but the above info is exactly what i would have recommended. It's practice time that is needed, I always setup an area in my back yard and put on different weights to match the weight of lures you are using so you can adjust to diffent weights and adjuts the brake if it has one.

Good Luck with it

Comment

It could be the line you are using as well. The lighter pound test line the more difficult it is to cast. Also line with a high memory is difficult to cast with a bait caster. A 12 or 15 pound test mono line is easier than say 10 pound test. You can't fit as much on the spool but it can save a lot of head aches.

Comment

Make sure you are throwing a lure, weight or casting plug with a little weight to it. For me it was much easier to learn how to use my casting reels with heavier things on them. Casting a light rig of any kind is still a bit challenging for me. Also, when you get a nest - slowly and gently pull the line straight out until you come to a snag. Then reach in from the back side and pull the line from the snag on the spool back towards you. Try pulling from the front again and see if the snag has cleared. May take several attempts, but NEVER try to pull line out the front if it don't wanna go. That is a good way to tangle it to the core!

Comment

when i removed the side to set the brakes. the reel stoped working. when i press the button to release the line nothing happens. any ideas?

Comment

Practice and use magnetic brakes!

Comment

Practice and use magnetic brakes!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad