Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new to baitcasting. I picked up a decent reel and rod the other day. I am having tons of trouble using it efficiently. Any

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new to baitcasting. I picked up a decent reel and rod the other day. I am having tons of trouble using it efficiently. Any

I am new to baitcasting. I picked up a decent reel and rod the other day. I am having tons of trouble using it efficiently. Any Tips/help/advice? I am used to spinning reels. The baitcast reel I purchased is an Abu Garcia silver max.

Tighten up the cast control knob so the lure slowly goes to the ground. Use a heavy lure to learn.

Keep with it though. Once you can do it the baitcaster is amazing. I can cast like 30 yards further with mine then a spinning reel.

Comment

I like to use PowerPro line on my baitcasters, it's much smoother, and has a smaller diameter than monofiliment, it makes casting MUCH easier!

Comment

If you click on my name and look way back, I have given a lot of help on baitcasting. First you can not just pick up a reel and be proficient. If you want to play football, type a letter, shoot a bow, or any other thing that requires a consistent repetitive movement of you muscles, you must practice. Thus it is with baitcasting. Setting up the reel is also important. Start with a very soft mono of about 12# test. (After you get to where you are more proficient, then you can change the line and put what you prefer on it). Do not over fill the spool. It is better to leave the spool with at least 3/32 to 1/8 inches exposed above the top of the line. This is because you need to thumb the spool edge, not the line. Thumbing the line does not always stop the spool and it can still spin inside the line causing a deep backlash. Next get a 5/8 to 7/8 oz. casting weight to practice with. Here again you can cut back on the weight later on. You have two cast controls on the reel. One is for stopping the spool at the end of the cast and the other is to keep the spool from over runnig the casting weight. The Casting control should be set to where the weight will barely move slowly to the floor or just a bit tighter for the first few casts. You can always back off more. Start with the magnetic control all the way on. Here again you can always back off. Good luck and practice, practice. practice.

Comment

heavy weight, good line, practice

Comment

Thanks guys! I will be practicing over the next few weeks. I will share my results.

Comment

Just to reiterate your confidence in the advice given santa gives great advice for learning how to baitcast i have read several of his pieces of advice on baitcasting, and they are all really good, i wish i would have had his advice when i was learning

Comment

just curious........ how do you know that they are decent????

Comment

haha ^ trying to bust my balls??

Comment

I have mastered it! Thanks for the help guys!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad