Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's the best way to fish in the dark for large mouth? the water is clear,weedy and cold.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what's the best way to fish in the dark for large mouth? the water is clear,weedy and cold.

what's the best way to fish in the dark for large mouth? the water is clear,weedy and cold.

If there isn't too much weeds for a treble hooked topwater, try a black jitterbug. Or you could use a black buzzbait. If topwaters not working, try a black texas rigged worm. Another option is a black spinnerbait with a large colorado blade.

Comment

a frog worked slowly across the top might work as well. like ethan said, use black.

Comment

I would throw a black chatterbait. Use braid and a stout rod so you can rip it out of the weeds.

Comment

I agree with ethan but for one thing. IMO a buzzbait would be too fast in cold water I think? A black jitterbug reeled slow a steady. Man I can hear the noise,bloop,bloop,bloop,bloop. They do make a weedless version. Take some diapers too. When a bigun blows up on it you will crap yourself LMAO!!! The hardest part is not jerkin the bait away from the fish. Wait till you feel the fish pull to set the hook. I also use a black worm. I liked curly tails for vibration and a big one too. I have used up to 12" worms. Fish them slow. Seem like bass just hammer bait after dark. One of the best places Ive fished at night is swimmin beaches too. Hope I helped with all my rambling.

Comment

Jitterbug. Don't be afraid to use a big one.

Comment

The best choice for covering water quickly would be a moonlight spinnerbait, they tend to be black with big, bright flashers that displace lots of water. I have used them succesfully at night and during the day. I wouldn't go with top water because the fish might be holding deeper if it is cold and clear.

Comment

All those answers have NOISE in common, and mostly DARK color. Whatever you've got available like that, will work. Personally, I'd favor the floating ones, cause you can hear them yourself and know where they are, and are less likely to lose them to snags in the dark.

Comment

If the moon is out I would use a dark jitterbug or Gaines Crippled Killer lure (I got mine from cabela's) or on a fly rod I would use a dark deer hair popper, slider or diver.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad