Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

whats the best way to fish cool to cold water bass? will they still hit top water frogs or do ya have to go under the water for

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best way to fish cool to cold water bass? will they still hit top water frogs or do ya have to go under the water for

whats the best way to fish cool to cold water bass? will they still hit top water frogs or do ya have to go under the water for the best results?

i dont do much winter bass fishing for three reasons im always deer or duck hunting and when im not doing that im chasing stripers and musky. my dad fishes alot of bass tournaments though and when it gets cold he always fishes a silver buddy and seems to have good luck with it.

Comment

As the water cools off, the bass' metabolism slows down, so it's best to slow down your fishing methods, too, so it's easier for the fish to make a meal out of your lure. Try a curly tail worm or a fat-bodied, wobbling crank bait fished medium to slow. They may still hit on the top occasionally, but not nearly as well as during warmer weather. Tight lines.

Comment

In cold water I like to go to the black worm and fish at night. In swift water I will try spinners and buzz baits.

Comment

Jrod, I'm assuming your talking about water temps this time of year? Last night and for the last week I've been fish top water frogs w/ paddle legs in water temps in the high 60's w/ much success. My friend has been throwing a small buzz bait and has been having just as many hits if not more. I have been throwing the frog so that it lands about 6"-12" off the bank with a splash and let it sit for 5 seconds then start reeling in at a medium pace and usually the hits would come within the first 5'-10' from the bank. I was reeling from shallow to deep and not parallel with the bank. Hope that helps.

Comment

most of my winter time fishing or fall for that matter is fly fishing. other than a few days of that i'm usually hunting.

Comment

If you mean winter then no top-water except maybe a buzzbait on a warm day. But if you mean fall then fish a crank and a top-water and a frog or whatever. The fish are in shallower and chasing so your favorite moving presentation will usually be good to go.

Comment

Clackin rap- it up

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad