Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best smallmouth setup i have a 10lb test baitcaster with a teaser craw. list any favorite lures for a slow moving ri

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the best smallmouth setup i have a 10lb test baitcaster with a teaser craw. list any favorite lures for a slow moving ri

what is the best smallmouth setup i have a 10lb test baitcaster with a teaser craw. list any favorite lures for a slow moving river

If you're fishing a relatively clear river, you could probably downgrade to lighter line (6 or 8 lb test) and get away with it. Smallies can be line shy.

As for lures, crawdad imitations are tough to beat in rivers. Tubes, small crankbaits, and jigs typically do well. Try to match the color to water clarity. If it's clear, go with a natural brown or green color, like a watermelon or green pumpkin. When it's more stained or murky, try a darker bait with bright accents, like black/chartreuse...something that will show up in poor visibility.

Good luck, hope this helps. Just get out there and use the current to your advantage - current positions the fish.

Comment

1/8oz Strike King bitsy jig with 2" zoom swimming chunk.

Comment

I like clear line, I use 10lb Berkley Trilene XL, and like to use a Zoom Fat Albert Grub in Green Pumpkin, texas rigged. I like to reel it slow and also let it hit the bottom and shake and jig it. If you like to use craws, I would try a black skirted jig and a Pappy Craw. Cut about 25% of the tial off and then rig it. Smallmouth fishing is different than largemouth fishing in that they tend to hit many different baits at any given time. You have to carry an arsenal of baits to figure out what they might want on any given day. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad