Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm trying to decide if and when I might start tying my own flies. I'm 13 and don't do a whole lot of fly fishing. If I should s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to decide if and when I might start tying my own flies. I'm 13 and don't do a whole lot of fly fishing. If I should s

I'm trying to decide if and when I might start tying my own flies. I'm 13 and don't do a whole lot of fly fishing. If I should start what should I buy. And as a hunter I can get a hold of fur and feathers. What type of animal fur works. All help appreciated. Thanks.

i got a basic fly tying kit that included a video for the most basic flies and just upgraded from there. start cheap to see if you like it. good luck.

Comment

I've not gotten involved in flyfishing yet, but a friend uses the squirrel tails I've provided and his Thompson fly-tying vise to good advantage. He also uses horse's mane and his dog looks oddly well trimmed at this point. He's threatened to use my hair, but I can't sustain the loss at this point.

Comment

ed, are you feeling a little OFF today?

Comment

get a basic fly kit and start small, once you really like it you can start using any kind of deer hair, elk hair, and feather, pheasant tail, and rabbit fur

Comment

Take a class on how to tie...buy the supplies you need to tie the flies they recommend you tie. Sold materials are free of bugs, better quality, and can be easily stored in their packages. It ain't worth the savings to get road kills. Buy quality tools as well as recommended by qualified dealers. Excellent tiers can not tie a good fly with poor quality materials.

Comment

Jamesti,
              I may be undermedicated.
              Ed

Comment

you can get some high quality fur off of wild animals. I use rabbits fur as a dubbing, and if you know how to you can tan it and cut it into strips, die it different colors. That works if you know what you are doing. You can use muskrat, deer, elk, and all kinds of other animals in creative ways. You just have to learn how to, and practice cleaning and tanning hides.

Comment

thanks for the help

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to As Bad As It Gets
                    by 99explorer
                    There I was, sitting at the bar staring at my drink,when a large trouble-making biker steps up next to me, grabs my drink and gulps it down in one swig....
                    Today, 10:30 PM
                  • As Bad As It Gets
                    by jhjimbo
                    hi light to read

Fasten Your Seatbelt

Major General Higginbotham On Kamala Harris’
                    06-20-2021, 07:02 PM
                  • Reply to 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                    by FirstBubba
                    I do believe that is the general consensus.
                    I think they had enough trouble printing ballots.
                    Printing ballots with down ballot votes and...
                    Today, 10:30 PM
                  • 2020 Election - what is broken ?
                    by jhjimbo
                    As far as I know, the rigged part of the ballots was the Presidential ticket, down ballot I don't believe were tampered with....
                    Today, 10:17 PM
                  • Reply to Hey Folks
                    by jhjimbo
                    Looks like RRA is making a bid in the long range rifles - Shooting Mag, this month. Guess what caliber it is in ?...
                    Today, 10:26 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X