Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many casts will you give a spot before you decide to move on? Im kinda impacient with fishing, and I move around a lot. Shou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I fish largemouth on a summer/early fall pattern, I rarely anchor unless river fishing. A good trolling motor is absolutely essential, as is a drift sock. Use a noisy spinner bait, surface popper, or rattle bait to find fish, all of which can be easily used from a moving boat. Move but move slowly and with purpose..remember you are in effect hunting for fish. When you find a spot to set up on, use the trolling motor to control position. It's not a specific number of casts that determines your catch rate, but knowing how to adjust for different conditions, like cold fronts, dog days, wind, and different light conditions. Also, any time spent learning about the body of water you are on is like gold, and will pay off no matter what species you are fishing. The best fishing tackle you can use is your head.

Comment

I don't leave a spot until I have completely covered the water column with different casts. I use a fan pattern and try to cover the area in detail, I also will use several different lures to cover the top water bite, the mid level bite, and the deep water bite.

You may not need to cover all three columns if you are fishing shallow water just take your time and give it a chance.

I have stayed in one area for 50 casts or more and not had any action until the 50th cast, but sometimes that big one is just waiting around and finally they will get frustated enough to hit.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad