Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many casts will you give a spot before you decide to move on? Im kinda impacient with fishing, and I move around a lot. Shou

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many casts will you give a spot before you decide to move on? Im kinda impacient with fishing, and I move around a lot. Shou

How many casts will you give a spot before you decide to move on? Im kinda impacient with fishing, and I move around a lot. Should I stay put?

Normally I take my time on a lake or river. Maybe a hour or so of not catching anything and switching baits. But trout fishing up the stream I will only stay in an area for 10 or so casts then work up the stream.

Comment

It depends. While bass fishing I move quick and make alot of casts until I find the fish then I slow down. This does not work for other species though.

Comment

If you don't have a trolling motor you should buy one. I never cought any fish until I got one. I usually work the edges of the lake and on points, it works great. So to answer the question I would keep moving until I find the fish.

Comment

Same answer as lovetohunt I usually troll on 1 or 2 casting as much as I can and changing lures about every 5 minutes or when I break a line. When I start catching fish I slow down and work the area when it gets hot I drop an anchore. You'll catch 10 times as many fish trolling like that than you will off the bank or just dropping anchore in a random location, plus you get to see the lake and if your on your game you can map all the brush piles and come back to them later. (Thats where all your lost lures will be! :P )

Comment

We wade rivers flyfishing mostly and usually only put about 3 casts in a hole before moving along. Sometimes cover lots of river before we find the right spots.

Comment

I usually pond fish so I'm always on the move. When ever I move I cast out in a semi circle, that way you cover the entire area.

Comment

I don't move unless I've tried a few of the major colors and lures. I've seen it before where a guy leaves a spot and 15 minutes later someone is in the same hole pounding the fish, so i like to try a little of everything before I move. This is especially true with icefishing and early season panfishing around MI.

Comment

I usually stay in the same spot for a while. 30 minutes. If nothing is happening I go to another spot.

Comment

If I am fishing a pond or lake I tend to give it a little more time, but if I am in a stream or river I will give each hole about 4 or 5 casts and move on if there is no action.

Comment

depends on a lot factors, like how close you are to other potential "hot spots", how many other "spots" you know of, or plan to fish, and what your goals are. Not everyone goes out and tries to catch as many fish as possible. My strategy for numbers is different than if I'm after BIG fish. You expect to catch fewer. I will stay longer if I'm after big fish.

Comment

Fan cast 10 times.
                        return later to try again.

Comment

I always try to pick a spot where i can imagine a big fish under it i will try at least 15 times then return.I will try all kinds of bait, tackle and see if it,s something i,m not using, different colors etc.

Comment

If there is structure such as a log I will make 4 cast one on each side ,one in the front and one along the side if i dont get a hit I try different spots and then come back with a different lure

Comment

I try five or six casts per lure style then move on. If there is a good drop off, tree or point I would come back later and try casting again.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to How do you fly ?
                                by PigHunter
                                Like most everyone else, I buy a scope to feel a need. Only a few times have I taken advantage of a sale.

The Leupold VX3i on my .308 is...
                                Today, 06:44 PM
                              • How do you fly ?
                                by jhjimbo
                                Do you buy a scope when it is on deep discount, then look for the perfect rifle to put it on ? Or, you have the rifle and it needs glass, justkeep looking...
                                Today, 04:18 PM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Bubba, I've been curious too. This is our first and so far I like it during dry fire. We're going to see how it is at the range in a few days....
                                Today, 06:35 PM
                              • Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                On 7/19, Milldawg mentioned he'd ordered a laser sight for his wife's Ruger LCP 380 and they were on sale at MidwayUSA. Well, that inspired me to order...
                                08-03-2020, 11:20 AM
                              • Reply to Handgun Laser Sights
                                by PigHunter
                                Good question. The old style Ruger LC9 has a very long trigger pull that's similar to that of a double action only revolver. I think it would be unlikely...
                                Today, 06:32 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X