Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I inherited my grandfathers fly tying vise and other equipment (from the late 1950's) and am planing on tying my own flies, woul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I inherited my grandfathers fly tying vise and other equipment (from the late 1950's) and am planing on tying my own flies, woul

I inherited my grandfathers fly tying vise and other equipment (from the late 1950's) and am planing on tying my own flies, would this equipment work or should i buy new equipment?

Your fly tying equipment will work fine! You may have to apply a little oil to the vise. Some fine flies await their tying.

Comment

As Cgull said, it should work just fine!

Comment

Stick with Grandpa's stuff.

Comment

I obviously don't know the brand or quality of the equipment but would bet that grandpa's stuff is as good as or maybe better than what you can buy today for any reasonable amount of money.

Comment

I'd be pleased to use my grandfather's equipment, knowing it served him well and we had the sport of flyfishing in common, and that he spent many hours with this same equipment doing something that he enjoyed as much as I. No, I'd happily use that equipment. I suspect you won't find anything better that's in current production.

Comment

I'm with ish and Ed. There hasn't been much for cutting edge advancements in tying equipment. You might also know that they don't make things like they used to, and even if they do, you pay through the nose for it, so you'll do well to stick with this. It should last for the next generation, too.

Comment

fly tying for dummy's
                1) take hook put in vise
                2) tie feather on hook
                3) put hook on line
                4) cast
                5) catch wicked big fish
                6) smile and take picture

Comment

Pick up a bobbin and whip-finishing tool and you're on your way.

Comment

well there is nothing wrong with using old equipment, all of the fishing equipment from that time is super good quality and as a beginner I think you should use what you have right now but if you get more into it I think you should invest in new equipment.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad