Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

any tips on how to set the hook on large mouth bass that just grab my scum frog and then spit it out right away?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any tips on how to set the hook on large mouth bass that just grab my scum frog and then spit it out right away?

any tips on how to set the hook on large mouth bass that just grab my scum frog and then spit it out right away?

That happens to me all the time because I tend to want to jerk the bait as soon as I see the strike. But with scum frogs and similar lures, wait until you feel the weight of the fish before you set the hook.

Comment

Also try to rig a trailer hook on the frog. Could help in hook setups.

Comment

Try threading the hook on the side of the frog rather than through the body, then barely insert the point back into the frog. This makes the hook easier to set, as there's less frog for the hook to move through.

Comment

Keep a bag of Zoom Speed Craws in your tackle box for slow biting fish. The smaller body of the craw and the action of the pinchers get some good explosive attacks.

Comment

Change colors or baits. If they are taking the frog well you should be able to set the hook as soon as you see the bite.

Comment

Wait a couple of seconds to set the hook.

Comment

To follow up on bamaoutdoorsman's answer, after the strike you can either wait until you feel the weight letting the fish take all of the slack line in itself or you can reel in slowly after the strike and upon feeling the weight set the hook.

Comment

I'm with bamaoutdoorsman and skeeb, it's maddening learning to 'wait' to set the hook, but once you discipline yourself to it, your hookups will increase dramatically.

Comment

Turn the trailer hook up. Use a piece of surgical tubing to hold it in place.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad