Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A friend and me are buying a small fishing boat for local lakes and maybe rivers, we have two good boats we like but cant decide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend and me are buying a small fishing boat for local lakes and maybe rivers, we have two good boats we like but cant decide

A friend and me are buying a small fishing boat for local lakes and maybe rivers, we have two good boats we like but cant decide on the semi-v or the flat bottom boat, which one would be sturdier to fish from? And could the flat bottom handle waves? would really like any advice we can get. thanks

Here are the two boats we are deciding upon. Just copy and past the adress.

http://topeka.craigslist.org/boa/1862768566.html

http://topeka.craigslist.org/boa/1861562813.html

Also the guy who is selling the semi-v(the second adress), we talked him down to $800

Comment

The simi V will break waves and can handle larger waves, flatbottoms will slap waves and is louder. The wider the boat the more stable it'll be, flatbottoms seem to slide sideways more than V's. Nothing wrong with either boat, I have one of each. From the boats listed I like the simi V better. It looks to be a nice looking and nicely rigged fishing boat. Good luck with the one you chose!

Comment

Cameron,
        Cgull is 100% spot on.

For what I'm seeing in the ad, I think the V-bottom deal looks better. I had a Tracker that was very similar to this. It was a nice boat. Mine had a 25 Johnson, and if there was only one change I could have made, it would have been maybe having a 35 instead. Once you get that v hull all rigged up it will be a good bit heavier than the flat bottom.

I'd get the V, get the largest motor the hull is rated for, fix up the 10hp, and then find a good 14' jon boat too....then you have your pond/small river/duck hunting rig too. Possibly sell the 6hp to offset the cost of a larger motor for the v hull.

S Ga

Comment

I like the flat bottom myself just for personal reasons. The big expense in a boat purchase is the motor. The old Johsons and Evinrudes are getting harder to get parts for. The ignition parts, carb parts, and water pump parts for all the motors in the adds are not hard to get but major parts are. The second largest expense is the trailer. Check the wheel bearings, axles, and springs. Look for rust on the bolts holding the axle in place as a rough indication of problems. Good luck and happy boating/fishing.

Comment

cgull is right as far as the properties of each boat go. I would just get whichever is wider, then you will have more fishing room and it will be more stable. Recognize that some of the room in the v boat is unusable for fishing because it is the very bow.

Comment

The semi-vee is more stable under any circumstances.

The flat-bottom takes longer to get on a plane.

Then it pushes a big wave, and is slower.

Vee-bottoms work for the same reason as aircraft with upswept wings.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                by labrador12
                The narrative abides. The Snowhole takes the hook, the line, and the absurdly large sinker again.

Let's GO Brandon!!!!...
                Today, 05:55 PM
              • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                by FirstBubba
                Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                by PigHunter
                Nice! Looks peaceful.

PigHuntress and I are going out tonight for karaoke. She's hoarse and may not sing as much.

Tomorrow night...
                Today, 05:53 PM
              • TGIF; Armageddon
                by fitch270
                Not sure how this week will play out, the idea just came to mind.

Nickelback

“If Today Was Your Last Day”

Yesterday, 07:11 AM
              • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                by FirstBubba
                LOL! I has lots of things running through my mind! WHAT the ambulance driver, or the EMT looked like WAS NOT at the top of the list! 😩
                Blood,...
                Today, 05:43 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X