Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey guys, I am having a little bit of trouble catching bass right now in a really deep lake that has a large population of panfi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I am having a little bit of trouble catching bass right now in a really deep lake that has a large population of panfi

Hey guys, I am having a little bit of trouble catching bass right now in a really deep lake that has a large population of panfish. There are weeds and submerged trees. The bass are coming off the beds, and I just can't catch any. What should I throw at them? They are very deep down there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It is lake somoma in ca if that applies to anyone. I have been throwing craws on football jig heads and dropshot 4" worms.

Comment

I would go with a weedless worm and put some weight on it and cast by those trees and weeds and up and down the banks. Maybe even try a frog.

Comment

I would say drop-shot. Perhaps a bigger bait than you have been using? I use a 6 inch Roboworm. Also, sometimes Gulp! can really make a difference, I like the 6 inch night crawlers in watermelon.

If the fish are post-spawn, I would think that they are either on the first break or docks. I skip a weightless Senko under docks with good success.

Also, because there are a lot of panfish, a deep crank in a sunfish color could be good. Or something that would imitate them.

Comment

Get ya a Jitterbug, it's a top water plug but it sure brings them to the surface! I call it my BASS BOMB!

Comment

A little cleo spoon would work, but you would also catch alot of weeds with it.

Comment

BLUEGILL ... (if its legal) the bass are chasing them hard right now i caught them 2 days ago fun to watch

Comment

Hook through the tail far enough up and a splitshot make sure its small and alive

Comment

Try a deep diver crankbait...it will garuntee you some fish in the deep lakes.

Comment

Nebraskahunter18, ive had big bass try to attack/eat little bass that ive been reeling in this year quite a few times lol, so theres another idea to add to your list Panfry.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

I would use a a yum dinger with a 1/4oz wieght.

Comment

my uncle was pullin in a like a six or seven inch bluegill and a five pound bass naled it as the bluegill was near the shore. that might help if you want those big lunkers

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad