Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hey everyone can i but a baitcasting reel on a spincasting rod? cause bait cating stuff is expensive and i have alot of rods. i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey everyone can i but a baitcasting reel on a spincasting rod? cause bait cating stuff is expensive and i have alot of rods. i

hey everyone can i but a baitcasting reel on a spincasting rod? cause bait cating stuff is expensive and i have alot of rods. i have a nice spinning combo but thats for trout (four pound mono line) and i fish mainly top water for bass and i dont want to switch and waste line.

Yes you can put a baitcast reel on a spinning rod. The result is a reel that will sit up rather high on the rod, but that is a style now days for many people anyway. I prefer an off set handle for baitcasting so that the centerline of the reel is lower down. I like a shorter handle than on most spinnig rods because I hold the baitcast reel in the palm of my hand and a long handle gets in my way of working the rod. A spinning reel is held with the foot of the reel between the fingers and the long rod handle gets hooked up back under your arm to help support the rod. The line guides are a bit large in general on a spinning rod but they will for bait casting. Some lite one foot spinning guides will bend a little easier when used upside down because the pressure from fighting a fish pushing downward. These lite one foot guides have their main strenght designed in tension instead of compression.

Comment

It can be done but it will be a dissapointment waiting to happen. There is too much grip behind the reel for a comfortable cast, the reel is located in an uncomfortable position and the large ferrels on the rod will let the line stray to reduce casting distance.

Comment

no if its a SPINCASTING rod, emphasis on spincasting, then you can. but if its spinning, like with a bail and it goes under the rod, then dakotaman is right. disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad