Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have been having trouble hooking my bucket mouths on a 6 inch texas rigged worm. I barely cover the tip and barb of the hook,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been having trouble hooking my bucket mouths on a 6 inch texas rigged worm. I barely cover the tip and barb of the hook,

I have been having trouble hooking my bucket mouths on a 6 inch texas rigged worm. I barely cover the tip and barb of the hook, so I don't think that is the problem. What would you do? A trailer hook is not an option.

Try adding some scent to the worm, by doing that the bass will hold on to the bait longer. After you feel the first bite, reel your slack in slowly giving the fish a chance to take the bait into it's mouth a little bit more, then set the hook firmly.

Comment

Thanks Skeeb. I do spray my worms every little while, so I do not think that is it. Thanks for the input though.

Comment

Use a relatively stout rod and set the hook hard. If you watch that is what the pros do and it works.

Comment

I have a relatively stout rod and braided line, which has previously helped in setting the hook. Could the fish be seeing my line? I could always put a fluoro leader on it. What lb test should I use for the leader?

Comment

If you are barely covering the point and barb you need to do the opposite. You need to have the point almost sticking out the other side. You should be able to drag your finger across the worm body and feel the point poke you a little.

Comment

Shane, i iam barlwy covering the point on the other side with plastic, so I can feel the point as you said. I guess I just wrote the question in the wrong way.

Comment

You may be getting strikes from small bass that aren't taking the worm all the way into their mouths. You don't want them, anyway. Make sure your hooks are ultra sharp.

Comment

Maybe your trying to set the hook too early or too late after they spit it out already. When you feel a bite, reel in the slack and then do a hard hook set. I don't know what else to tell you, it sounds like you have got it all right

Comment

try waiting two or three seconds before setting the hook hard. u r probably ripping the worm right outta the bass's yap. try a smaller worm too if u are having trouble waiting those couple of seconds

Comment

I don't think that is the problem. What would you do? A trailer hook is not an option. Speed Test
                      Last edited by EVAKATY75; 01-06-2021, 04:56 AM.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad