Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how can i tell how deep my pond really is besides going in and measuring it. and ive check to see if theres any record of it and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how can i tell how deep my pond really is besides going in and measuring it. and ive check to see if theres any record of it and

how can i tell how deep my pond really is besides going in and measuring it. and ive check to see if theres any record of it and theres not

well go out there with a boat that has some sort of computer depth measure on it and that is the easiest way besides measuring it by hand.

Comment

There is a way to measure it from the edge of the pond if you are still up to speed on your geometry. Estimate the distance to the center of the pond and reel off enough line to reach it. Tie on a lead sinker with exactly the amount of line you estimated. You will now know the length of one side of a right triangle.
      Throw the sinker out to the center of the pond, allowing it to take as much line with it as it will need to reach the bottom. You will then know the length of the second side of that right triangle, which in this case would be the hypotenuse.
      Now, using the Pythagorean Theorem, you can calculate the third side of the triangle, which in this case would be the depth of the pond.
      The square of the hypotenuse of a right triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides.
      I don't think all those calculations will be necessary if the lead sinker does not reel off much more line that you first estimated, because the pond would probably not be more than six to ten feet deep.

Comment

What's wrong with getting wet? Swim out with a 10-14 ft bambo if you think the pond might be over your head. Can't swim? take a noodle and a life jacket!

Comment

get in your boat, turn on the depth finder.

Comment

If I remember my Mark Twain correctly, tie knots at given intervals in a rope, then put a weight on the end and drop it stright down. And 99explorer, I like the Pythagorean Theorem, but if the bottom makes a curve, there will be a small error in the lenght of the hypotenuse. Yet even with error, A square plus B square equals C square is the best method to get a good quick idea. Plus one for you!!!!

Comment

Borrow some little kid's float and paddle out to the middle with a kite string and a rusty bolt tied to the end. Let it down till it stops, mark the string then measure it when you get back to shore. You may wish to add some beverage to your equipment list and enjoy a lazy float-around while you're out there. Get some sun, splash your toes in the water and have some fun with the project.

Comment

I meant to include the fact that this allows you to avoid having to do math.

Comment

country road has the winning method here!you might want to measure a few times though.

Comment

I agree that country road has a winning method, but hammelhi3 did specify that he didn't want to go out and measure it.

Comment

Take a 10 foot 1.2 pvc pipe, jam a 12 inch rebar in one end and throw like a javilin into the deepest part of the pond, you'll get a better idea how deep it is. No need to fire up the old 10th grade Geometry synsapes, those thing are know to misfire at times.

Comment

Cgull-
                        Good answer if the pond is shallower than ten feet.

And if the pvc pipe disappears from sight, you would know that the pond is deeper than 10 feet, but you would still not know just how deep it is.

Comment

ther is a thing u can buy from cabelas it is sort of lke a litle bobber u can ty it to the end of your line and it cames with a little screen that u clip on to your rod and cast it out and it will show almost everything a fishfinder on your boat shows fish, structure, and depth

Comment

Get a slip bobber with a large weight on it. Every time the slip bobber goes under move the bobber stop up and if it lays down move the bobber stop down. when you get it to stand upright you have your depth. Measure the line from the weight to the bobber stop.

If you really want to get fancy, you can take a bunch of measurements and plot them into a gis. U can use either an aireal photo or you can plot the waters edge with a gps. With your measurments you can come up with a underwater contour of your pond. Its a ton of work and most modern depth finders do it for you but it is an option.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                              by FirstBubba
                              Who is "cross examining" these witnesses?
                              NOBODY!
                              Pelosi kicked any conservative off the panel that might actually cross examine...
                              Today, 08:20 AM
                            • Jan. 6 committee illegally formed
                              by FirstBubba
                              Number 1 - the committee was SUPPOSED to be composed of 8 (D)'s and 5 (R)'s.
                              Pelosi rejected three of the (R) members and filled the spots with...
                              06-11-2022, 08:51 AM
                            • Reply to Heating Oil
                              by Pmacc60
                              Jim it’s a serious concern , I’m looking at a $2500 fillip charge and looks like around 7000 for the winter coming . I’m spending $300 a week in...
                              Today, 07:47 AM
                            • Heating Oil
                              by jhjimbo
                              Heating oil is up 107%. That to me looks like a disaster in the making for heating in the NorthEast this winter. I had oil furnaces in all the properties...
                              Today, 07:38 AM
                            • Reply to TGIF; Armageddon
                              by fitch270
                              Tim McGraw

”Live Like You Were Dying”

Today, 07:12 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X