Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the main difference between the uses of a casting reel and a spinning reel? I have a spinning reel, why would I want to

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the main difference between the uses of a casting reel and a spinning reel? I have a spinning reel, why would I want to

What is the main difference between the uses of a casting reel and a spinning reel? I have a spinning reel, why would I want to buy a casting reel?

I think the have more power when realing something in.

Comment

Lovetohunt is right, they do have more power, but I still like a spinning reel better.

Comment

you don't need one i have a casting rod but it sits in my room collecting dust while my many spinning rods are always in the bed of my truck. with spinning reels you don't have to worry about birdnesting ever so i don't bother with the casting rods

Comment

Same as huntfish37 hey have more power but spining i perfer more.

Comment

People use baitcasting reels because they cast farther for one. Once you become proficient with one you can achieve some crazy distances.

Comment

I like bait casters simply because of the strength of the reel and the casting distance, but I keep a good spinning reel on hand at all times.

It's a matter of preference.

Comment

If more gear sounds good, buy a baitcaster, but you don't need one. Anyone can do just fine in any freshwater with a spinning reel.

Comment

personally i do not prefer to fish with casting reels...but they offer more power, generally because you can put on heavier test, longer rods, and larger lures....but again i like light tackle because I enjoy a good fight rather than just reeling a fish through the water

Comment

Spinning reels are not built to fight heavy weight- the line twists and the drag isn't as strong.
                    Baitcasting reels don't toss light lures easily- light tackle is handled better on a spinning reel.

Comment

I use mine in bass tournaments to toss spinner baits and crank baits, but still prefer casting reels.
                      I started out on casting reels, when I was a youngin', thats all my parents used, way back when ...

Comment

I have found the casting reel to be very reliable and powerful. Don't mess around with the super cheapo's, but you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one. I am really pleased with the performance of Abu-Garcia's. Of course opinions are like...well...opinions are abundant.

Comment

Baitcasters are more powerful, but I perfer to use spinning reels.

Comment

Agreed with lovetohunt answer above and A+ 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad