Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am new at this fishing stuff. I bought an Ugly Stick ok.. What is the small eye near the handle for. Do I string my line thro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am new at this fishing stuff. I bought an Ugly Stick ok.. What is the small eye near the handle for. Do I string my line thro

I am new at this fishing stuff. I bought an Ugly Stick ok.. What is the small eye near the handle for. Do I string my line through that eye or not?

Don't run your line through it. The small eye is for your hook, lure etc when you are storing your rod.

Comment

It is a safe place to secure your hook or lure so it isn't flapping around getting caught on things or people when you are not fishing. They are handy. I wish all my rods had them. Welcome to the fun and habit forming sport of fishing. Good luck.

Comment

Hook loop, don't run your line through it!

Comment

All of the above are right, and it's something all rods should have!! Rather than hooking your lure/swivel to one of the existing eyes, keep it safe there. All (or at least most) fly rods have them, more spinning rods should follow suit. Congrats on your Ugly Stik, I have a few of different weights and they all serve me very well.

Comment

Some rod makers add these hook loops for us to attach our lures or hooks so we do not attach them to the rod guides, posibly damaging the guides. Most sporting good stores sell slip on hook loops that can be slipped over the rod and brought up just above where the reel seat is. If you're adventurous, you can cut V's into the center of both ends of a shoebox, buy some string that matches the string that have been wrapped on your rod guides, clear fingernail polish and some bent peices of wire. Use the shoe box v's to cradle the rod while you wrap the string on both ends of the wire, try to mathc the amount of wraps that have been put on the guides, tie a coouple of half hitches then coat with a couple coats of nailpolish to finish.

Comment

You know I have one of those also but I never use it, I always hook the hook on one of the eyes.

Comment

You're taking a chance of pulling a guide off or nicking the insert inside the eye. A nicked insert will slowly fray your line and posibly cause a lost fish while fighting a fish. Best to use the hook loop if you have one.

Comment

Hook Loop

Comment

Yeah, you shouldn't hook your lure to the guide, it will damage the guide and could chip the insert causing it to nick and break your line. Also, ditch the Ugly Stik and get something you can feel fish with (IMHO).

Comment

Like the others have said it's a hook loop. Put the hook of your lure in the loop and reel up the slack and your good to go.

Comment

its all for the hook not for the line

Comment

dont put your line through it its for hooking your hook/lure to wwhen your not fishing

Comment

Cgull,
                            I've actually had that problem but I just always forget about that eye made for the hook. Just been hookin it on the eye for so long it's turned into a bad habit.

Comment

good choice with a strong rod and you keep the hook in there while not fishing

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                                by FirstBubba
                                Best of my recollection lab12, Trump offered Nat'l Guard.
                                Wash and Ore governors said, "No way!"
                                Seattle, Portland mayors threw...
                                Today, 05:49 PM
                              • South Dakota leads the way.
                                by labrador12
                                South Dakota didn't lock down. South Dakota continued with open schools. South Dakota even held the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. South Dakota maintained...
                                02-27-2021, 07:10 PM
                              • Reply to March 4th came and went. Nobody died!
                                by crm3006
                                Doubt seriously if those were lurch's real medals he threw over the White House fence. After all, he can't say three words without saying "I served...
                                Today, 04:39 PM
                              • March 4th came and went. Nobody died!
                                by labrador12
                                Where was the revolution? MSNBC and Yahoo News called March 4th the end day. The horn head Neanderthals were supposed to come riding their mighty steeds...
                                Yesterday, 06:19 AM
                              • Reply to South Dakota leads the way.
                                by 99explorer
                                PigHunter's post count is now down to 5420 as he keeps deleting comments.
                                Given his history of point-cheating over at Outdoor Life, he is surely
                                Today, 04:12 PM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X