Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

There is a lake near my house that is full of walleye, 2 lb. + crappie and large mouth bass. The trouble is that the lake has z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is a lake near my house that is full of walleye, 2 lb. + crappie and large mouth bass. The trouble is that the lake has z

There is a lake near my house that is full of walleye, 2 lb. + crappie and large mouth bass. The trouble is that the lake has zero water clarity- it is muddy all year. Any suggestions on how to get at these fish when they can't see?

Charley,
    They don't have to see the bait, they know its there. A completely clear lake means somethings wrong with the lake.
    Are you talking about a lake or stream?

2lb+crappie?

Comment

Charley I was asked basically the same question by a young fella in the fishing section in the BX at Eielson Air Force Base Alaska. The Tanana River is solid mud water and he asked what’s the best lure for Salmon. I said dynamite works best! Didn’t know he was an ATF Agent fresh out of school and didn’t have a sense of humor!

Actually live minnows work best!

Comment

Here in Kansas there really isnt any clear water. The clearest water I have ever seen in a pond or lake had about 5 feet of visibility. Fish the same spots as you would in a clear body of water. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Jim in Mo,
          Yes, 2 lb. + crappie- the gill net studies that fish and game do every spring shows many at over 2 lbs.

Comment

use a briter lure

Comment

use a bright lure that has a strong scent Ex powerbait, Gulp!, strikeking salt 'n coffy tubes.

Comment

*Coffee

Comment

Ide go with live minnows for crappie. They always work well. Also for bass i would use Spinnerbaits with colorado blades and any kind of rattling crankbait. (My favorite is the ratt-L-trap)

Comment

I would use a spinnerbait or a buzzbait in whether chartruse/white or plain chartruse.

Comment

If the clarity is that bad your going to wnat to use something that is brightly colored and obnoxiously loud. Rattle baits are great and should work for both bass and walleye. Try some smaller brightly colored crank baits for the crappie. Rooster Tail spinners are also great for bass and crappie in cloudy water, and I have caught several fish with them.

Comment

THanks for all the help. I just wish that live minnows were legal bait in my state.

Comment

I would say to use some spinners on a sunny day. The motion as well as the shiny spinners will catch their attention. Also, the murkiness helps you, the fish won't really be able to catch any mistakes (like the motion you put on your bait) that you make. It acts like a cover up.

Comment

Use fresh nightcrawlers

Comment

Use Live Minnows!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad