Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you keep your legal fish or are you catch-and-release only? Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you keep your legal fish or are you catch-and-release only? Why?

Do you keep your legal fish or are you catch-and-release only? Why?

I keep some, but not most of my catch. If i'm really nailing them i'll keep a few for a meal. If i'm picking up only an occassional fish, i'll throw it back. Why keep a fish if you'll only get one? Not enough for a meal. For me it's close to 50/50 what i keep and release. I throw back all native brookies though.

Comment

I release them so other people can catch them. The only fish i would keep is walleye and maybe pike.

Comment

If fishing is good I might keep a couple and eat that night. Otherwise I'll throw em all back.

Comment

In some places and in some cases, I've kept legal fish. I sort of make my own judgment call on how the particular species is doing in the fishery I'm fishing. But about 95% of my fish get released. Unless I'm in Yellowstone. That always turns into a lake trout bloodbath. Gotta kill every last one.

Comment

Keep enough for the table.

Comment

Keep a few small fish for the table and release the rest.

Comment

I release all the fish I catch. I do not have any desire to eat the fish, so I catch them for sport.

Comment

Its about half and half. Like for my birthday on Monday we are having a fish fry so the past times we have gone fishing, we have kept almost all of them. I believe we have about 3 quart sized bags full and pair that with homemade french fries it should feed me and my brother. (haha just kidding that will feed my whole family)

Comment

Release them so someone else can catch them.

Comment

Depends. I usually catch and release trout and bass. If I go for other fish it is to usually for the table. I still want to try a brook trout but am always catch and release fishing when I get them and I just hate to keep the larger ones.

Comment

i catch and release

Comment

i keep most that i catch, good eating.

Comment

I very rarely keep a fish. If I'm in the back country I sometimes keep one to fry up but other than that no, I do not kee fish.

Comment

I probably release about 90% of the fish I catch because mostly they are from the local river which is an absolute cesspool. .

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad