Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best bass lure for when the water temp. is 40-55 in a lake with the deepest spot 15ft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best bass lure for when the water temp. is 40-55 in a lake with the deepest spot 15ft?

What is the best bass lure for when the water temp. is 40-55 in a lake with the deepest spot 15ft?

I would say a worm or a fluke worked at about 5 feet. Find warmer shallow areas where the fish will congregate during the day.

Comment

Rapala X-rap it catches a lot of fish for me.

Comment

You could ask that same question to ten of the best tournament bass fishermen and get ten different answers. For one thing 40deg. and 55deg. are two completely different situations. However, at that range of tempature a bass's metabolism is going to be moving slow and the bass is not going to be willing to exert much energy to get a meal. Since I'm not familar with the lake your talking about I couldn't point towards a certain type of structure of cover that should hold bass. Going just on the information you provided I would try a pig-and-jig fished extremely slowly, just a slight crawl along the bottom. When the water gets up in that 50deg. range I would start throwing a suspending jerkbait such as a Rapala Husky Jerk or Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue. You should fish the jerkbait by letting it get to the depth you have marked fish, and just let it sit for about 30 seconds in between twitches. Any warmer than that and I tend to start moving towards reaction type baits.

Comment

I would suggest a pumpkin green jig with an dark red chunk trailer. Fish it slow with subtle jerks occasionally.

Comment

x-rap or similar jerkbait works for me

Comment

Something slow like a jig usualy works best for me when the water is colder.

Comment

for water like 55-65 a crankbait will work but for colder water a jig will work

Comment

I agree with the alabamahunter. The only other thing i would do different than him use a better quality jerkbait such as a luckycraft jerkbait. When the water is cold you need the lure to do what is supposed to do. I just think you will find that kind of quality with luckycraft jerkbaits. I know they are a little more expensive but the fact of the matter is do wan't to catch fish or not.

Comment

Agreed with alabamahunter answer above and A + 1 for you sir!!!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Reply to Recoil pads revisited
                      by Pmacc60
                      Sunday morning and I’m going through rifles because you got me thinking about this. Here is what I came up with, all are current hunting rifles and...
                      Today, 08:16 AM
                    • Recoil pads revisited
                      by dewman
                      When I was redoing the base/ring & swivel setup on the old '06 yesterday my pal sitting there with me asked if I was going to add a recoil pad. Probably...
                      Today, 07:36 AM
                    • Reply to Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                      by FirstBubba
                      As far as I'm concerned, who-(whom?)ever is selected, if Biden is elected, they will, in time, become an Obama puppet.
                      Right now, the push seems...
                      Today, 07:57 AM
                    • Pelosi and the VP candidate !
                      by bowhunter75richard
                      Pelosi states that the VP candidate is of no consequence ! Is this largely felt to be true ? In this election, I would think it to be of the utmost...
                      Today, 06:38 AM
                    • Reply to Winchester Model-12 12 Gauge Shotgun Issue
                      by FirstBubba
                      RazzRJB, I don't guess it makes much difference why it's missing. LOL! Because it isn't attached, I've had them just "fall" out unnoticed....
                      Today, 07:48 AM

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X