No announcement yet.

how do you catch cat fish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to use set lines with live minnows if I can find them.

Comment

Some big cats, and some humans that are after them, in some places go nuts over back hooked live shiners or shad. Sinkers can be involved.

Some find success with hot dogs, cut bait, chicken livers, cheese, or even cornbread and hushpuppies. I say combine them all into a half-rotten sick-nasty disgusting goo or paste. They make little spongy absorbent foam baits to dip or rub all nasty like in it.

Chumming or throwing out a little bag or net of nastiness on a string is usually effective. Cast into the watery stench-zone you just made.

Comment

Catfish Grappling. Look it up online.

Comment

I have always had good luck with cut bait, put it on a circle hook with at least 12lb test usualy a braided line on a medium heavy rod with a good reel. Heavy tackel and foul smelling bait, cast it in the water and wait.

Comment

Depends on the species, fish the edge of current breaks for channel and blues with cut bait or worms fished on a slipsinker rig on bottom. For Flathead use large live bait suspended just off the bottom in eddys.

Comment

For some, guns, dynamite, or bare hands.

Comment

Watch "Okie Noodler".

Comment

Chicken livers or little bluegill

Comment

With an old crank telephone, drop a wire on boat sides of the boat and call them up!

Just kidding!!!

Comment

Night crawlers or chicken livers- I have had the most luck on the lake by dropping the bait to the bottom and slow bouncing it as I drift along with the trolling motor.

Comment

Shad, Shrimp, Beef Heart, Beef Liver, Cutbait, Live Perch, dip bait, stink bait, etc.

Catfish are easy to catch if you do a little research and don't mind putting in a little time to find out what they like. Most bodies of water have catfish in them and they are pretty easy to catch.

I catfish every single week and they go after something different each time. Don't be afraid to experiment with different baits and techniques, that is part of the fun of going after catfish.

Comment

Night crawlers or chicken livers!

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad