Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you drop-shot, how much line do you start the day with between the hook and the weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When you drop-shot, how much line do you start the day with between the hook and the weight?

When you drop-shot, how much line do you start the day with between the hook and the weight?

for deeper water i use 14 to 16 inches, and shallower water 8 to 12 inches, it has worked for me so i hope this helps.

Comment

I think I have heard to use a longer line for clearer water and a shorter line for murkier water, but I don't use this rig much so I am no expert

Comment

Most often i run my hook 12-24 inches above the weight and even up to 4 ft above the weight. You want to present the bait in front of or above the fishes eyes.If my electronics show fish suspending or if I think the fish are suspending 4 ft off bottom thats where I'll suspend my hook/bait.

Comment

I use about 4 to 5 foot mono leader for stripers.

Comment

It depends on the water depth and depth of the fish. I only use this rig when fishing the bottom or close to the bottom. I don't like having too much between it makes it too hard to deal with when casting and just having long section of line dangling from the rod tip.

Comment

oh, someone doesn't know how to fish for freshwater stripers. Someone please tell me how I am wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the input, I normally start at about a foot and a half for open water and 6 inches for docks or cover and adjust. I just wanted to get an idea of some other philosophies.

Comment

either have the guts to tell me how I am wrong or take the minus one away.

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad