Top Ad

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, I live in IL. The first state to have high school bass fishing. So the lake we fish on is a power plant lake with alot of sh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, I live in IL. The first state to have high school bass fishing. So the lake we fish on is a power plant lake with alot of sh

Hi, I live in IL. The first state to have high school bass fishing. So the lake we fish on is a power plant lake with alot of shad. Any tips on what to do or what to use.

what lake?

Comment

Need a little more info.
      When are you fishing ?
      What is the water color ?
      etc.
      Be glad to help you out if I can.

Comment

Newton Lake

Comment

February-April with slightly murky water

Comment

The closest power plant lake I have fished in that area is Coffeen. I don't fish it alot but I have had better luck using live bait (minnows) for crappie.

Comment

Fish should still be kind of deep. I'd start with "pig/and jig" or a deep diving "plug".
              Good Luck and Good Fishing !

Comment

Jig and Pigs, and heavy jigging spoons on the deep ledges.

(I live in Illinois too, and I am planning on competing for GHS, good luck, its going to be a hard battle!)

Comment

I would use spoons and something red, orange or yellow.

Comment

winter fishing will be good at and near the warm water discharge from the power plant, try slow rolling spinners, vertical spooning , deep diving cranksbaits, Carolina riggged worms and Texas rigged worms

Comment

Try dropshotting a craw, the fish don't often see one presented in that manner. It is a bit bulkier so it stands out well in darker water and you can fish it at a variety of depths and in varied cover depending on weather you nose (tail actually for a craw) hook it or rig it weedless w/ a small off-set hook.

Comment

Growing up, I used to fish the hot ditch on Clinton Lake with perch colored Rapalas and bait tipped silver spoons with better than average results. The real joy of the power plant was fishing for cats the first night of the year they opened up the area for fishing.

Comment

Thanks, Guys for all the tips
                          Alex, what school do you go to?

Comment

Thanks, Guys for all the tips
                            Alex, what school do you go to?

Comment

Welcome!

Collapse

Welcome to Field and Streams's Answers section. Here you will find hunting, fishing, and survival tips from the editors of Field and Stream, as well as recommendations from readers like yourself.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ for information on posting and navigating the forums.

And don't forget to check out the latest reviews on guns and outdoor gear on fieldandstream.com.

Right Rail 1

Collapse

Top Active Users

Collapse

There are no top active users.

Right Rail 2

Collapse

Latest Topics

Collapse

Right Rail 3

Collapse

Footer Ad